Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesday in NH

Shawn, Genine and I went out to ride around the lake this morning. It definitely took me a few miles to get my legs feeling like they should.
Genine or Shawn led the ride most of the time. I had to pass them on Devil's Hill because I don't have a triple. So I can't spin that hill. As I was passing Genine I asked why she was on her 52 ring on the front. She groans and says she thought something was wrong. She's not totally familiar with the shifting on her new bike yet. Meanwhile, Shawn's bike wasn't allowing him to hit the 2nd front ring. So he was either on the big ring or the tiny ring. I don't think he likes the tiny ring at all, so he was hammering it out.
When we got to the south end of the lake we were going to cut across and go back to the park. Well they started the paving today. So we sat for about 10 minutes waiting in traffic. There was only one lane open. When it was finally our turn. We started out on hot, freshly rolled asphalt. It felt like we were sinking into it, very odd feeling. Because of the break, I really don't have an estimate on our average speed, but at least we got about a 16.6 mile bike in this morning. Genine is loving the new bike. :-)

Shawn, Amy and Fiona then left to go to the Ocean in Maine. I went to work raking gravel on the driveway. Fun, Fun! It's amazing how much damage rain can do.

My brother arrived a bit later and we planned on starting the mowing of the fields. Then he said we should probably pick some of the wild blueberries in the field before we do that.

4 cups of Blueberries

I guess we should be calling them "Organic" Blueberries so we can feel even better as we eat them. Although they will probably be loaded into something "evil" like a blueberry buckle. I love blueberry buckle. (kind of like a coffee cake if you aren't familiar)

So we never did get to mowing the fields because after we did the picking we decided it was time to head to the beach.
When I got to the beach I realized I forgot my fins. So I just pulled on the wetsuit and did 6 lengths of the beach. I didn't have a watch so I'm not sure how much slower I am without the fins. The first 2 laps the shoulders were feeling kind of rough, either from swimming yesterday or from raking the driveway. After that, I hit a pace and could have kept on going for a long time. 74 degree water. I went without the swim cap today and I think I felt cooler.

I would have liked to have run today but I just couldn't figure out when to make that happen. I know Genine was hoping to as well. It kind of felt like an easy day after the last couple, which I suppose is a good thing. Tomorrow we climb Mt. Cardigan.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

Run Mt. Cardigan, right?

catmarlson said...

I would be somewhat interested to see how quickly I could go up. Going down is a different story entirely.
Also the people that we have seen "run" the mountain in the past, they always have those carbon fiber walking sticks in each hand.
Seems that carbon is the way to go in every sport.