Monday, July 21, 2008

Finally back in NJ

9 hour drive back to NJ today. We had a 4 mile stretch which took us 2.5-3 hours to complete. That puts a dent in your mood, day, plans...

Craig I'm going to apologize now for the hole I'm going to put us in during the first leg of the Tango. I feel I should make sure that they will let us continue if I don't make it in 2 hours. If that's truly a cutoff or just a "suggestion". If I can stay somewhat "in the mix" of runners and some race day adrenaline is going.... maybe I'll surprise myself.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not terribly disappointed by my lack of speed, how could I be? I haven't even been running for 2 years.
I'm looking at it this way. After the first event, we have everyone to pass. Passing is fun. Of course on the bike you can see who you are passing, I'm not sure I'll see anything while I'm swimming. Maybe I'll have the people in the safety canoe keep telling me, "You're only 50 yds from passing the next swimmer!"

Speaking of which,
Where are we with Canoes, safety people and crew to get the canoe to the boat launches?

I know Scott and Jerry are both planning on helping out. Who else do we have? The real "problem" is getting the canoes to the boat launch for the final leg. I'm not sure who they have be your safety canoe if you pay the extra $25. Hoping we don't need to find out, but it is an option.

5 comments:

CSquared said...

We have Scotty and Jerry, we also have my mom and her friend Marsha. So, at this point our team and Genine's team are covered, I guess Shawn better start worrying about his support canoe. :)

I talked to my mom. I might call a cousin who is about 20 yrs old. I haven't done much with him in years, but I think he would enjoy it. I will try to get a hold of him this week. He could be a big help getting the canoes to the transisiton and being support for a swimmer.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Welcome home! Two hours? a problem? Not a problem unless it is me doing it. :)

catmarlson said...

Shawn may have it covered. I'm not sure if you have heard that they are going to be a 4 person team.
Heather: 13.1
Shawn: bike
Shawn: Swim
Shawn and Jim: Orienteer
Jim: 4.5
Shawn and Marty: Canoe

I think that's the plan anyhow.
Shawn has 3 events in a row, that certainly should satisfy his want to do more.

We should draw up a flowchart of who's taking what vehicle with what equipment to each location. If we don't have to deal with the "canoe" vehicle, that would certainly be easier for us.

CSquared said...

I don't know Heather or Marty, but I trust if Shawn found them they can't be half bad as people, let's hope not real good athletes.

I checked out last years times. There were a few 2hr plus 13.1 mile runs. Really you are only putting us in a whole against Toby and some high school kids. I expect you to make up the time on the rest of the teams during the swim.

Plus our half will need to be awful bad to put us where we were started the swim last year. I am styling on the mountain bike, and I now know how to ride rims, so as I have said before I will not put the effort into keeping the bike in perfect running order but make sure I get in.

catmarlson said...

Sorry I should have been more helpful.
Heather is Chris Johnson's girlfriend or fiancee (apologies for not keeping this straight)

Marty runs with Jim and Chris on many of their Marathons and rumor has it he's an alternate for the Olympics in racewalking. :-) Any truth to that Jim?

Jim said...

I think he could have made the olympic team for that but I'm not sure. At any rate, he is in the canoe so his race walking won't matter much.

I suspect Heather will run 2 hours or better. I sent her profiles and pictures of Matt so she knows where she needs to be :)