Sunday, July 27, 2008

Gloves have shipped

My "secret weapon" for the Tango, webbed gloves, supposedly shipped yesterday, so hopefully they will arrive in time to try them out a couple of times before the race. Alright, so it's not so secret anymore. I haven't tried these yet, but I hope they live up to my expectations. The cool thing about webbed gloves for surface swimming is that you can instantly adjust the amount of surface area with which you are pulling, rather than being stuck with one size as is the case with the paddles. I don't think you would want really big paddles for the whole swim because it becomes pretty anaerobic after a while, so this way I can choose to engage whatever muscle fibers I have available on a constantly adjustable basis, like a high-tech constantly variable transmission. I also did some swimming workouts yesterday, and got some more lessons, so Craig can rest easy. I am going to be okay. Above average split is all I can say right now.

I discovered a second potential secret weapon yesterday, but I have to try some things out before I decide whether I will use that or not. It shall remain secret until race day. I can't be sure if it will work at all, so tests must be run. Not much time. This biking before the swim is also kind of an unknown quantity. Never did that before so who knows how it will affect us? Ah, well. I'm not worried. I hope my safety canoe can keep up.

3 comments:

CSquared said...

If you biked for hour and 45 minutes before you swam than I am not worried ;)

SJV said...

Biking, shmiking. Swimming is all arms so it really matters little how much biking I do before that. I just hope I can get my wetsuit on when I'm all sweaty. I might need some body glide. If I can't find any locally, I might need to go with olive oil. Mmmm, I'll smell good.

GTO said...

Shawn swam like a fish! In fact, he swam so quickly, we never got out of the YMCA!
Signed,
Shawn's Safety Canoe

P.S. We're keeping your $20!