Thursday, July 3, 2008

Tango Training Plan

I am behind schedule with my run training and with the Tango a little more than 4 weeks away I’m getting nervous about it. So on the way to work today I pulled out the Half Marathon Training plan and put it onto the calendar. That should help me, I seem to do much better if I have a schedule. I feel compelled to “complete” it.

For the Swim Training, I guess I’m going to have to hope we have great weather while we are in NH. I need to spend a ton of time at the lake. Shawn and family will also be up there the first half of the week. I’m guessing I’m going to be able to see how I compare once we have fins and hand paddles. I should probably consider trying a snorkel, I think I’m going to need all the help I can get.
Here is some good news regarding the swim. Last night’s swim class was the first swim since May 3 (Brooklyn Half) that I didn’t have to lay off the kick. I didn’t even think about that until this morning.
Some of the race times: 50m in 44sec. 25m in 19sec. I thought my relay 50 was probably a bit faster but I don’t know for sure. I just hit the wall and needed to breathe so I didn't see the clock. I did get the high 5 from Joe on that one, so I know it was better than he was expecting from me as of late. It would seem that even as weak as my kick is, it does help me for sprints.

I digress, this is a post about Tango Training.

Orienteering: Craig has the map aspect of this covered. I will just do my best to help spot the points once we are close. My main concern on this stage is nutrition and cramping. I don’t typically cramp during the run but I can’t say that I’ve done much running following a long swim, which was preceded by a half marathon.
We do plan on scouting the rim rock area this weekend. We never touched the trail going up the front of the hill last year. We need to find out what that is all about for this year.

4.5 Mile run: This is not my leg of the race, I’m mentioning it because last year I was an anchor in the canoe with Shawn. My legs were cramping so badly, I was standing in the canoe trying to work them out.
So I feel that I should offer to Craig that if I’m not dead at the end the orienteering. I’ll trade him for this run if he will allow me to simply lie in the bottom of the canoe while he paddles us to victory. Ha ha.

Canoe: I expect Shawn will be taking his kettlebell to NH. I’m not sure I can even pick the thing up but the time has come to add some weight training to my schedule. (Insert Ad for totally ripped Abs in just 30 days).
Fortunately the gym Genine goes to just ran a special. For about $200 I am now a member for the next 2 years. I have use of the facility Wed-Sun. They have much better weight machines than what I have available at the Y which I’ve gone to about 3 or 4 times in the last 18 months.

There you have it. It’s all very simple. Just stick to the schedule.

Oh one last thing, if you need competition as inspiration. There is a very good chance that we will see Genine teamed up with Maija splitting the events the same way Craig and I intend to split them.
Once again, I will let Craig do the math to determine exactly what we need to do in order to win this thing. Ha ha.

For those that are going to be in Warren this weekend:
I have a 5 mile run Scheduled Friday and a 10 mile run scheduled on Saturday.
Genine plans on checking out the bike route, hiking Rim Rock and would like to canoe. I don’t see the canoe happening unless they drop the river considerably for the holiday weekend.

7 comments:

CSquared said...

Esther is not making the trip? Go Genine!

Win the whole thing? The math works until the canoe. How the heck does Toby go so fast? Of course I am assuming you will be 1:30 on the half and 1:05 on the swim? I am inking those times in as solid, of course anything I am doing is in pencil, strictly precautionary.

CSquared said...

The math works out under 9 hours. 8:06 with great efforts by both of us.

The winner was 7:43 team and 7:28 individual.

Lets say under 10 hours we had a great day, under 9 hours awesome day, under 8.5 a urine sample may be in order, and under 8 hours, "please step through the metal detector, we are sure the bionics will set it off."

catmarlson said...

I like the math. I agree that between 8.5 and 9 hours would be a great day for us.
I will work hard on the swim this month. Hope for great weather while I'm in NH. Or at least no lightning.

I can't wait to see your "revenge ride" on this course.
Looking at the results from last year. I think I will have allowed some people past me in the 13 miles. That's so we have something to chase after the rest of the day.

m said...

Are there any real results for the race besides photos of the winners? You know, times?

Looks like no Esther unless she ends up changing her mind :(

How did you guys know I was planning on a 1:30 run and 1:05 swim? :)

catmarlson said...

"How did you guys know I was planning on a 1:30 run and 1:05 swim? :)"

You realize we could spend this weekend giving Genine terrible advice on how to Orienteer and Canoe :-)

catmarlson said...

Last year's results:
http://tinyurl.com/6n7kwa

SJV said...

Remember that Toby is in a kayak, scorching everyone. The closest competitor in a kayak was 23 minutes slower. There was a canoe team that did it only three minutes slower than him, but it was probably those girls with the double-ended paddles and military cadence (and 2 inches of draw).

My math says there's no way to win unless we have a ringer for a runner. We can, however, put on a good show, especially considering we are two-person teams.

I have a colleague who is a competitive kayaker, which could give us a bump, but we have to use canoes if we do it as a team. I don't know anyone with a very light racing-style canoe, so it will be like paddling a Caprice Classic wagon against a Corvette. And there's a 250-pound guy in the wagon to boot.

So I say let's just have fun, do our best, and generate more stories to tell.