Monday, July 14, 2008

Boot Camp might be more appropriate

This morning we started a bit later but we all went down to the Bristol Bike Path to do some running. Genine and Shawn paced each other and got in 4.2 miles. I was thinking I'd do 4.2 and call it quits, but I ended up doing 10K. Again, I'm really breaking the rules on how quickly to ramp up the miles but hopefully I'll survive and will be stronger from it. :-)

Then we went home. Grabbed a quick lunch/snack and headed to the beach with fins and wetsuits. It was forecast for rain all day and it was still overcast so we had the entire beach to ourselves. Well there was a camp of kids but they were at one end and were very contained.
So Shawn started with hand paddles and fins. I just went with the fins. We were very evenly matched. Which I think should be considered good news. I really thought he'd be killing me once he had fins on. He dropped the hand paddles after about 20 minutes and was just as fast without them. We swam with fins for about an hour. The worst part was we would occasionally run into the ropes marking off the swim area. They are old hemp ropes and we both now have hemp slivers in our hands.
I had some calf cramps but they were manageable and expected. I just can't seem to keep myself relaxed enough when trying to up the speed.
After taking a break, I went back in with the fins and was planning on doing fly work. Nope, that was really not happening. Genine and Amy showed up and I just crashed on the beach and relaxed. Tomorrow is another day.
Sorry no action shots today. I'll try to remedy that tomorrow.

No comments: