Friday, July 25, 2008

Looking forward to the next couple weekends

I'm curious about tire selection. Genine's bike currently has a "road slick" on the front and a knobbier tire on the back. I'm not positive that is the exact spec of the rear tire but the tread appears to be right. Good combination? She did some riding while in NH but I'm not sure she was in as much gravel. I would like for her to complete the bike without tire issues, as it is the event she is most looking forward to. The thing is I have more confidence in the smoother tire's puncture protection.
I just did some reading. on tire mixing. Now I'm considering the small knob tires front and back. She just isn't going to have time to try all this stuff out for herself.

I think I'm going to pass on my scheduled 12 mile run Saturday. My hamstrings have been tight all week. So I'm going to run more often and shorter. Then really work on stretching them back out. I will probably get on the road bike to do the longer cardio workout.

This Sunday Genine and I will be taking pictures at the NJ State Triathlon. We will both have a camera this time. We are hoping to get some fun shots of our friends. Should be a nice relaxing day for us. I'm really hoping it doesn't rain!

3 comments:

CSquared said...

"Some mountain bike tires come in matched sets, with different tread front/rear. The front tires tend to have the knobs set up more or less parallel to the direction of travel, for improved lateral grip and better steering control. The rears tend to have transverse knobs for driving/braking traction."

This is from the article you linked. This is what I am going to be doing. I decided to not make my tires skinner, but go with a front specific and rear specific. This link goes to what I ordered. I should have them Monday. If it isn't what I thought it was, I can go with the tires I currently use with new tubes. (paste the first two together.)
tire.http://www.performancebike.com/
shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24920&subcategory_ID=5430

IRC site:
http://www.irctire.com/tires/mythos_xc_ii.html

CSquared said...

I am making a second comment to not confuse the two issues. I am not going with any type of Slick substance. Wider, mountain bike tires are being used to minimize my weight to rock impact.

My understanding is the Slick stuff or a heavy duty tube really helps with thorn type flats. Pinch flats are still a reality as they were last year with me. So, I am using standard tubes with the mountain bike. This will keep the wheel weight down.

I guess I am saying I am hedging my risk between the failures I had last year and the risk of going slower with tires/tubes that weigh more but reduce flat problems. I hope I have picked a happy middle ground.

Tell Genine or I will, is to stay in the tire lanes and away from big rocks no matter the tire she choices, that goes for Shawn also.

Scott Angove and Joe Nelson went with the slick option on the front and more aggressive on the rear with no problems last year. I don't think Joe was too confident as he described it to me, because it was Scott's idea, but they passed me.

I may have just confused the two issues.

esther said...

thanks for taking pictures, matt and genine! looking forward to pasta dinner.