Sunday, July 6, 2008

Busy Weekend

The reunion last night was nice. It's sad that more people don't show up. (I think about 35-40 people from our class.) Even with the limited people that were there, I didn't get to visit with everyone so I guess it works out.
Of course we didn't get home until 2AM again. Funny how I can stay up forever but can't make myself wake up for 6AM swim classes.
Next morning some friends of Genine's parents stopped over, we made a nice breakfast and it was a nice visit. I had to tear myself away and get my 10 mile run in. So I was out the door at about 11:30 to run to my Dad's cottage. Turns out it's only 8.9 miles. I could have run past it by a bit then doubled back but I figured it was one of the tougher run courses I have ever run, and I'm kind of breaking the 10% rule about ramping up the mileage. I was also out of gatorade. My 4 bottle fuel belt may not be enough if it's a hot day. Hopefully the 7AM start will help with that.
I got a short break waiting for Genine to show up. My Dad's place is amazing if you like birds. You will see a dozen different birds in about 15 minutes. We were treated with a bald eagle soaring up the river. It was probably no further than 50 yards away. It was perched up in a tree for quite awhile. Unfortunately we didn't get to see it grab a fish. It eventually moved on.
Genine shows up and it's time for the canoe lesson. I knew this was going to be challenging. I don't know how to teach this. It's very much a feel thing for me. I just do what I do, can't explain it very well. I have a feeling Craig would have been a better teacher.
Genine seemed to be able to steer the canoe from the back if only she was paddling. As soon as I would paddle from the front we were all over the place. Not sure why this is. There were many times we would end up sideways and then would do a 360 to get it back together. Again, I'm just not sure what was going on back there. Maybe we will spend some time in the canoe in NH. Or maybe Eric could go out with her and do a better job teaching her.
At least now Genine knows the course and might be able to recognize how to read the water in the fast shallows. She seems confident that they will be able to get to the finish.
The water was much higher than what it was for the race last year. So we never had to get out of the canoe and pull it through any of the shallows. I would recommend that everyone considers what footwear they need for this event. Old sneakers or water shoes of some sort. I would also recommend bike gloves. Genine's hands are blistered from today's effort.
We are taking it easy tonight. We hope to get some rest, wake up in time to bike in the morning, then pack and head back to NJ.
I'm hoping to be back in time to get a swim in tomorrow night. Looking down from RimRock at the "Swim Course" might not have been the best thing for my confidence. During races there a buoys. I always just look to the next buoy, then the overall distance doesn't get in my head. There are no buoys for this race...... Guess I need a new plan. :-)

No comments: