Friday, July 25, 2008

Bike, Run, Bike . . .

I am alternating between Bike, Run, Bike ... etc. for Tango training. No Swimming, so I hope Matt doesn't throw out a rotor cuff during the half marathon, because I'm not prepared for the swim.

Runs are about 5 miles. I have a 5k race tomorrow (Rainday 5k) then I think I will bike home from there to get in some more training. The kids are running the 1 mile fun run. Eleanor is going for the third year in the row as her age group winner. She will have to step it up this year. The female 5 and under has been a week division, but the 6 & 7 year old female division, the cream is starting to seperate. Don't tell the other two, but they are usually "also-ran" in their divisions, of course that is what I am too, so the only historical placer in my family is Eleanor.

Back to my training. I have exclusively been riding the mountain bike. I did 19.9 miles in 1hr 25 mins last night. The big hill I did lacked the distance, but was more intense than the Jakes rock hill and dogs were present. I am sure the Tango does not have this obstacle. Sometimes they startle me when they don't bark until they are right on me. Man it makes my heart pump!

I also have been making sure that gravel is part of every ride. It is exciting sometimes, even on the flats. I have only come out of the pedals once, and no harm. If only I had no fear and could be a bomber, I could take back a couple more minutes or receive a nice helicopter ride. They can get me to the hospital in time and still make it back for the search and rescue at Rim Rock.

4 comments:

catmarlson said...

Looks to me like you are going to enjoy the ride this year. I do have one concern. I'm going to put you behind a bunch of bikers. Are you going to stop and help those in need? Or do we need to have that extra toolbox ready for you to throw to people :-)

A 5K race! Do you see a PR in your future? Those are nearly as good as a podium spot, at least for us in the "also ran" division.
Oh err on the side of being dehydrated this time, those pit stops in the women's bathrooms don't do much for your results;-)

No injuries! You don't want to swim, I'd take forever on the the orienteering leg. We both need to make it to the next event.

Go Eleanor!

SJV said...

I thought your Mom was also a placer in this kind of thing, historically speaking. Isn't she coming down to this one?

GC said...

The only person Craig needs to be concerned about helping on the bike course is me! everyone else can fend for themselves. There has to be some benefit of racing with your "sister teams"...or should I say "brother teams"?

Craig you are making me nervous with all this "off-road" bike training that you are posting. I'm hoping to get at least one ride in this weekend, maybe 2 if I'm lucky. It's harder to find dirt roads in NJ!

CSquared said...

It is getting harder to find them in WV. That Robert C. Byrd can get some money going our way. Don't you think he looks like the emperor from Star Wars.

http://byrd.senate.gov/

No offense Matt, but I believe I will be in a position to help Genine, unless someone pulls a Nancy Kerrigan on Maija in the parking lot of the Warren YMCA. I think Dr. Roberts would know the exact spot to only cause temporary damage.