Sunday, July 13, 2008

Training Camp

Well as you might expect, I didn't wake up as early as I'd have liked but 7:15 is still somewhat impressive for me while on vacation.
I started running at 8:30 and ran to Hebron. Which wasn't as far as I should have run but there were some good hills on the route. I believe it was 8.5 miles at a sad 9 min/mile pace. Ah well. I plan on it being a rough week of training. I'll be crazy fast by next weekend :-)
Genine drove to the bike path and did her running there. Then she met me in Hebron to drive me back.
We then had a bit of a snack and we then had to decide what we could get done before my Dad, Brother and Nephew showed up. So we decided it was time for Sculptured Rocks. Wahoo!


The "Can Opener"

We didn't take any pictures of the rocks today as it was very busy and wouldn't have made for a good photo anyhow. As you might guess from this picture it is a place where you can do some jumping off of "cliffs" into a pool of water. (probably 10 feet max). The water temperature was probably close to 60 degrees and it was overcast so it was jump in, get out quickly, jump again. The cold water was probably good for the legs right? Even with so little time spent in the water, I left with a much lower core temp, probably not as low as Fiona's, she was a Popsicle by the time we left.
We then went back to the farm, ate a quick lunch and then went to the beach. I didn't do a workout swim today but I did mess around trying to figure out "fly". I can't report any major breakthrough there but I tried.

5 comments:

CSquared said...

Dude, if I didn't see a little gray this could have been 20 yrs ago. :) A "little" gray might be something we are hoping for in a couple years.

Have you seen the Just for Men commercials? Guess what if my kids or wife are buying it for me, I am mad. Kind of the "WHAT, I'm not good enough for you?" attitude. My least favorite is the guy coming home from a business trip and the little box is sitting on the bathroom sink with a note that says "Don't you think its time"? The wife smiles showing she is only pretending to sleep. Is she more worried about him or her. I think it is "time" to be happy I don't have a beer gut to go with my aging head.

Sorry about my digress, sounds like you guys are having a good time. Keep the stories coming.

catmarlson said...

The big difference between now and 20 years ago. I have to stop myself from doing too many jumps. Eventually I feel like my butt is going to be bruised. Or the one year when I knocked my back out of alignment...

I forgot to give kudos to Miss Fi. She jumped twice and she wants to go back again later this week.
I'm not sure that she swam through the underwater tunnel. She did go down and look through it and saw the fish. (it is amazingly clear water).

As for the grey and the Just for Men. I'm just grateful that it's grey rather than disappearing.

m said...

I like teh can opener! You'll have to bust that out at the pool! Enjoy your vacation! Keep up the training.

esther said...

i think funny thing about fly is that it is easier when you go faster. and kind of imagine yourself doing it well. i was trailing some dude today who kept kicking water in my face and realized that my fly was sloppier b/c he was slower than me (only on the fly, of course.. since my back is AWESOME).

catmarlson said...

I think my problem is getting the 2nd kick of each cycle. I need to watch some video right before I go to the lake tomorrow. Maybe that will help... maybe