Saturday, July 12, 2008

Soooo Peaceful

We left NJ about 10:30AM Saturday. I was shooting for 9AM departure, so we were actually 30 minutes ahead of schedule. (It's typically 2 hours from my plan).
Easy drive up. Only surprise along the way was when we pulled into Bristol. I notice that the bike rack has shifted all the way to the back of the roof rails. (Yikes!). The roof rack has been on for a couple months, I guess loading it with 3 bikes and at highway speeds?? Everything was fine. There was still no way that thing was going to break loose.
Unfortunately we are here just late enough that going for a run or a bike just isn't in the cards for tonight. So instead it a recovery evening, sitting on the front porch, listening to the birds, drinking a beer and typing up this blog. It's amazing we can sit on the porch. When we were up here for Mooseman we would be down a pint of blood in the time it's taken me to type this up. Thankfully we are back to the "normal" mosquito levels.

I'm trying to decide how to work my 9 mile run tomorrow morning. An out and back is too flat other than the run up the hill to the house. A run to Hebron would be perfect, I would need Genine to go pick me up tho'. I'm not ready for the 18 mile round trip.
Still curious what the dog situation will be. I saw a runner tonight on the section I was concerned about so maybe it's okay. Running the ledges portion along the lake could be tricky. I'll just have to choose the right side of the road so that I am not on a blind turn.
Of course the first trick is waking up early and getting these runs in. This isn't easy for me to do. If I know people expect me to be there, like our Swim Club, then I can usually make it happen. I'm on my own this week for the running. I'll have plenty of company on the biking and swimming. That's why I'm trying to get the run in before they all wake up. Running is my first priority.
Swimming is second. I need to see about whether swimming with just the bibjohn of my wetsuit is good enough, or if I need to wear the whole thing. How hot will it be after swimming for an hour? Then of course there's the kicking with the fins/cramping issues, and trying to figure out butterfly. Do I sandbag my swim when Shawn is around so he never sees how fast/slow I really am? :-)
Oh, I did get to try out the new fins last night at the pool. They are a huge success. We did kick drills with fins and I was nearly keeping up with Maija and Esther. Without fins, I'm half Maija's speed. OK. Maybe not even that good.... Anyhow, point is the fins are great. Maybe I won't lose as much time in the tango swim as I thought I would ;-)

No comments: