Friday, May 30, 2008

Lubed and Spoked

At Matt's behest, I bought some chain lube for my bike. My local bike technician recommended Boshield T-9. This stuff was developed by Boeing to protect metal parts, so I guess the theory goes if it's good enough for them...

If you looked at those pics of my bike a while back, it was apparent that lubing is not something in which I regularly engage, so this was a thrilling experience. My chain and derailleur are definitely quieter and smoother now, so at least I won't bug people as much with that grinding noise as they go by.

I was at the bike store because I had to have them replace two spokes I have been missing for a while. This job requires my cogs to be pulled and I didn't have the tools to do that, so I had to pay 20 bucks to have someone else put in two spokes. Ugh. My rear wheel has 36 spokes. Some of these guys only have 12. Why do I have to have all mine in? Well, it's done, and I feel a little safer, so I guess peace of mind is worth a few bucks, not to mention the possibility that the rules committee at the race might make me replace them anyway. I think I'm feeling pretty good about my old trooper of a bike now. It is chromoly steel, with 36 spoke steel wheels, and 32mm tires, but this puppy is going to carry me like a gust of wind across Mt. Washington, to victory...and beyond.*

*(or 400th place.)

Long may you run.
Long may you run.
Although these changes have come
With your chrome(moly) heart shining in the sun
Long may you run.

No comments: