Monday, May 12, 2008

26 days is a long time right?

I swam Friday night. Did the first part of the coach's workout until I realized I really had better knock off the kicking. After that everything was done with the pull buoy. Which meant I could actually get closer to keeping up with Esther. It was a good swim.

Saturday: Marathon Poker Game at Scotty's. Would have never guessed it would go so late (2-2:30AM) but it was fun. One of they guys I hadn't met before had his Delaware Marathon T-shirt on. I talked to him a bit about his running. He did the JFK 50 miler, said it was the most amazing run he's done.

Sunday: 4 hours of sleep? Back down to Scotty's for Mother's Day festivities. I took a couple naps during the day. I had intended to swim Sunday morning but I missed that.

Monday: Decided not to go to Masters Swimming. I really don't think I can keep myself from trying to follow along in class. He's starting to really turn up the threshold training getting us ready for race season. Which is awesome, but I can't do it.
So after work, I figured I'd check out how jogging would go. Answer: Terrible
I went to the pool and did my pull buoy laps for about 50 minutes. Very tough to get aerobic when you don't use your legs.

Not sure if ibuprofen is going to help the hip issue but I'm going to take it the rest of the week to find out. I won't run while ibuprofen is still in my system. That just sounds like a bad idea. I'll wait until Sunday before trying to run again. I may ride on the bike trainer, I haven't decided if that's safe to do. Would be nice to get some cardio in. I feel like I'm gaining weight as I type. It's been a few weeks since I've been able to do good workouts.

Don't worry I'll be ready for Mooseman. I just need find someone that can give me a shot of Cortisone as a backup plan. (kidding)
It's starting to look like I should make the Morgantown race at the end of June my "A" race. Or maybe the Bassman was my A race, ha ha.

Jim if you have any advice for me regarding this hip flexor thing, let me know. As if you you aren't busy enough getting ready for the Delaware Marathon. Shoot me an email of your itinerary. I might be about an hour away Saturday, maybe we can catch up.

3 comments:

CSquared said...

Heal, Heal, HEAL! I told you no injuries. Why won't you people listen to me?

After my bike ride last night my left hip and lower back were real tight. I woke up this morning about the same. I did 5 minutes on the inversion table. Felt a lot better.

catmarlson said...

It's my nature to analyze everything, of course I've been wondering why this happened.
I don't think I have enough information to come up with a decent conclusion.
So what's the plan going forward?
Given my history of chronic back issues, I should probably just plan on preventative Chiropractic visits at least once a month.
I should also work on a strength training plan focusing on all the secondary muscle groups.

I'm optimistic, I didn't think my back was going to be ready for Bassman and that turned out really well.
I have time. Probably won't make the podium tho ;-)

CSquared said...

Your constant taper idea may come into play. Maybe you will be so healed that it will help you. Of course based on my current plan for the Moose, this week and next are the big boys.