Saturday, May 17, 2008

Things I noticed today

I did all three disciplines today. None of them was as long as what will be expected on June 7th, but I still learned a few things which I will report here. First, I am liking the Pose method of running. I may not be doing it exactly right, but whatever I am doing seems to be working. Going back to my old flat no-cushion shoes and adopting the Pose style has eliminated all knee pain, sped up my times, and allowed for extended duration of the pace. That's all good news for my run. It is a bit tough on the calves, but I am working on conditioning those to handle the new style. I might actually pass someone on the run. Some fat guy who can swim fast. Watch your back, fatboy.

Second, I biked, ran, and swam in quick succession today, and all three of them were faster than I usually do. I didn't lift before them, which is most likely the reason, coupled with my slight weight loss. That was also encouraging. I probably shouldn't do heavy deadlifts and cleans and presses before the race. Just a thought. I think having done the bike before the run actually sped up my run. This was the first time (maybe ever?) that I did not feel like my first mile of running was crap. I was already warmed up. Normally, the right muscles are not warmed up, but are instead wasted. My run today approached my fastest 5K ever (48 seconds off), and I still went another mile at that pace. Just two weeks ago, I was 5 minutes off this 5K pace, so that's a pretty big improvement. I hope I can knock it down a little more in the next two weeks.

Third, I used the pull buoy for the first time ever today. Nothing like learning to swim 3 weeks before the big race. Well, my goodness, that thing makes a huge difference. As Matt has pointed out, pull buoys can do wonders for people with bad body positions. I am obviously one of those. As soon as I started swimming, I noticed how easy it was, how smoothly I moved, how much better and less labored my breathing was, and a new sensation, pain in my triceps. I have never pulled so hard that I had pain in my arms before. It is usually a breathing issue. I am praying that the wetsuit will lift me up like that. Wow, what a difference. This might really change my opinion of swimming. I'm thinking the kettlebell might also be to blame for the triceps pain. That little sucker does pack a punch.

Also, I talked to a guy at the gym today, he was wearing a triathlon shirt, and I asked him if he does those. He said not really, though he did do a couple of sprint tris. I told him what I was doing and he said he might be interested in coming to the Spirit of Morgantown this year. Said he needs a new goal. Just call me the triathlon evangelist. Maybe we'll carpool. I should sign up for that one.

Haven't got my wetsuit yet.

Love my kettlebell.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

I think the wetsuit is much better than the Pull Buoy. Not only does it improve position but you are now slippery!
And yes, it's much easier to breathe if you don't have to kick like crazy.

With your wingspan and Kettle Bell arms you will be flying!