Sunday, May 4, 2008

Bike ride to the clouds

Today my masochistic training partner took me on a killer bike ride. In honor of Matt running the half, I thought I would shoot for 2 hours of biking. This is my route. I'm not sure if I mapped it quite right, but it was literally into a cloud at the top of a mountain. We could see the fog rolling over the top of the ridge and we couldn't see any views, unfortunately. If you click on that link, check out that second climb! Three and a half miles of unrelenting uphill. Sheesh. I made it, though, and that was only one of the three major climbs on this ride. It was certainly a valuable training effort, and nothing in the Mooseman will phase me now. I hope to do something like this three times a week for all of May, so watch out, boys.

I'd also like to add that I started taking Zyrtec, since Allegra was taken off the market, and Clariton wasn't working for me. The Zyrtec seems to be doing the trick, which is a very exciting thing to say, because I had a couple of years there where nothing was working. It's expensive, but I should only need one bottle a year.

Congratulations Matt on a beautiful first Half Marathon. Who woulda guessed that the asthmatic kid back in high school would turn out to be the fastest one of us? You are an inspiration.

4 comments:

catmarlson said...

Allegra is still on the market. For me to get it, I'd have to go to an allergist. Otherwise insurance won't cover it and it's about $150 per bottle.
I'm still taking Generic 24 hour Claritin every morning. Like I found out last year, you have to pre treat for allergies. Big post on this sometime in June last year.

Killer ride Shawn, wish I could join you.
I hope to find time to do some big rides. Fortunately, I'm still happy with the trainer and will put the time in there if it's the only way for me to make it happen.

SJV said...

Okay, well at $150 a bottle, I'm sticking with the cheap-by-comparison Zyrtec. I took Clariton for a month straight after we discussed it and had no noticeable benefits. The Z worked in about 2 hours and hasn't let up since.

I'll be happy to have you on some of these rides. Come on over any time. I'm starting to collect some good routes.

CSquared said...

Nice ride. That is some vertical. The big hill looks like a lot of fun, especially because the second half really got steep after the two mile of constant up hill. Devil's hill - Nothing!

SJV said...

CC, you are right about the top of that mountain getting steep. It was ridiculous. Not to mention it is an unpaved, gated, forest-service road, so it's rocky, rutty, and muddy, with washouts coming off the one side and pouring off the near-shear cliff on the other. I was in my super-granny gear and still had trouble. I did have to hop off once 'cause I was going to tip over, which didn't look like a good idea, especially on the left. I'd love to take you guys up there sometime.