Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Secret Training

I have secretly been training to get on my bike with the shoes attached to the bike. Also to dismount with shoes still attached to the bike. Sometimes with socks sometimes without, depending on weather conditions. The last 10 rides or so I have done this.

Getting on was the easiest to get, I now find it easier than doing it with the shoes already on. I don' t just jump on the bike. From a stop I place my left foot in the shoe attached to the bike give a push with my right foot and pedal hard with my left a couple revolutions. Then flip the right shoe over, I usually have to reach down to get my foot all the way into the shoe with my right hand. I pedal a few more revolutions and reach down and velcro shoes.

Getting out of shoes was trickier. I have to reach down about 100 meters from where I want to stop and totally undo the velcro and pull it out a little. Then I take my left foot out and place on top of the shoe and pedal to stop point. Lean to left, reach over and pull right foot out. The tricky part was my ankle originally didn't want to bend enough to get out of the shoe this way. It does now.

So, sorry about the surprise attack on learning this technique, but I wasn't positive I was good enough to do it until last nights ride. Went very smooth. I plan to just practice this in a parking lot a half dozen times before I start my Mecca to Moose. The shoes actually haven't left the bike in two weeks, which was my unplanned night ride.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

My not so Secret Training involves the bike shoes as well.
I'm working hard to avoid the 0mph crashes, with limited success so far.
It will be easy see how successful I have been simply by looking to see how many cuts and bruises I have on me.

The good news is that I seem to do while I'm moving. Just watch out as I head into T2 :-)