Monday, May 19, 2008

Things I Noticed, not specifically today, but noticed none the less.

Bought a pair of Nike Air Equalon +. I was looking at Dick's sporting goods trying to buy a pair of shoes. I tried on about 5 different pairs between Nike and New Balance, plus they also didn't have my size in about three other pairs. The guy finally said I will be back. He brought out a pair that was not on the rack and said try these. They fit! And were marked down $55. Still $75, so I hesitated, then went "Ok I will take them". This would be the highest retailed (before sale) priced shoes I have ever bought.

At the check out counter the girl told me they were IPOD compatible. Huh, I said. She takes the pad out and shows me a place to put a chip. Oh, that is the thing they were selling for $30 by the shoes. She then tells me how much she loves her IPOD. I inform her my Sony Walkman still works pretty good. I am not sure she knew what a cassette was, but her parents had told her stories (You have to wait for it rewind or fast forward, appalling). Once again, I am still a good solid 1989 in my way of thinking. Levi did get a MP3 player for his birthday. Which is cool, and I even figured out how to get music on it, with a little help from my 16 yr old nephew.

I used the shoes Saturday for my 90 minute run. My feet felt wonderful. They are suppose to move the impact on my foot around based on how poorly I impact my foot on the ground. Seemed good for the first run. I usually have some soreness issues in my feet after long runs. Feet felt great, right knee bothered me a little. 10 minutes on the inversion table last night seemed to help the knee. Should have got on it Saturday, should be a daily routine.

I plan to swim Tues - Fri everyday. Miserable trying to get somewhere. Work is not cooperating, especially with a 10 day vacation in June coming up. Also my wife seems to think she has a life despite my reminders that the focus needs to be on my training and not whether she has contact with people, or time to buy groceries or going on class trip with the kids, or that somehow Levi will remember me being at any of his baseball games, or for some reason she wants to spend time with me. I don't even want to spend time with me, all I do is try to train or am being compulsive over not getting enough training, or complaining about how I can't get anything done because of the training.

Still looking at the New Brighton Sprint. The very minimum it gives me a chance to train, practice transitions, and get to use of their pool for an extra swim. .25 mile swim, 11 mile bike, 5K run.

http://www.runhigh.com/events/events_single_view.php?eventID=1450

Did Zone IV training on Friday. Consisted of biking for 16 minutes solid pace, then hammering hard for 20 secs, then 100 secs recovering, then repeat 8 times. No interesting feelings, just tiring. Finished with a 17 or 18 minute cool down.

Memorial day I am planning a trip to IKEA. Fun for the whole family. I know I will get the Swedish Meatball special, with the vegetable Medley, and some Ligonberry sauce (way better than the cranberry stuff at Thanksgiving) at the cafeteria. Ahh, the finer things in life.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

Well since we are talking Analog and kickin it old school...

Do you guys remember the tube testers? There was one at Cowdricks Drug store and another at Jamesway.

As for the race, just don't hurt yourself doing it. It's really annoying being "sidelined".

The Swedes of Warren are still impacting your shopping and eating.
Did I ever tell you guys about my Jewish Tax guy in Brooklyn?
First time I went in to have my taxes done he says "Carlson, Carlson....I give up where are you from?" I said Pennsylvania then he says "No, No, your heritage!". I tell him I'm a Swede. He says "40 years of doing taxes you are the first Swede! What are you doing in Brooklyn?!?"
Funny stuff, very nice guy.