Saturday, May 3, 2008

Brooklyn Half Marathon- Warren High 5

Looks like you ran a great race 1:57:48. Since I didn't see a post from you yet, I figured I'd put up the data. 3156 out of 5832. Certainly it looks like you could do a sub 5 hour marathon,....maybe 4:30!!

In unrelated news, I ran the High 5 race in Warren today. 5 miles- 32:21 and 4th overall. The exciting part was that I had a dog nipping at me about the 4th mile and the gap to 3 and 5th was large enough that it was only trying to get me!! The dog was small enough, but very focused on my "chicken wing" legs. No matter what I did, it wouldn't leave me alone. I (unfortunately) had resorted to trying to punt it to get it away and that still didn't work. (Have you seen anchorman? "This is how I roll!") I had almost come to to a complete stop at one point. None of this changed the outcome. I would have been the same place either way, maybe a couple of seconds faster due to the unintended feeling of fight or flight that then left me winded for an extra 20 seconds after the incident before I could get back on pace. I was 25 seconds slower than last year, but I'm a year older.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

Thanks for the info. I hadn't found it yet. I thought we had just stayed under 2 hours.
The good news is I could have kept going. I think my HR average was 168. Very comfortable run.

I thought you were going to write the dog chased you up a couple positions, seeing how you Love dogs ;-)

Nice run. Congrats
I'll post more later.

CSquared said...

"Older" Mr. Carlson is a year older and he ran a 4 miles at the end of triathlon last week than he could run a 5k a year and a half ago. We will give you the dog, but age is not an excuse here.

I yell at them to go home, sometimes I pick up little rocks on the side of the road for the ones that don't get it. I have only had to do this once. I also hit this dog with a water bottle once, the water not the actual bottle.

I can't blame them. Even the smartest dog is still a dog. They also are doing there job. You invade there territory, they bark and chase you then you go away. Job Done. That is why they bark so hard at the UPS guy. He always goes away.

Good run by the way. I am only jealous, 32 minutes 5 miles. With power rollerskates and a pack of dogs, you still beat me by a nose, and have you seen my nose.

CSquared said...

I looked up the results. I see Jeff Dahl was 2nd and that Scott Angove was 7th. By the way Jeff Dahl is a year "older" than you.