Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Wetsuit - I'm Sold

Wetsuit will be worth every penny. I went to Mason Lake with wife and kids in tow. I believe in the buddy system, I had no idea how they would help, but could at least tell the divers where to find me. I started to dress in the parking lot with about 4 other cars there. About 8 total other people sitting in lawn chairs around the lake fishing. They gave me notice, but I guess didn't think too much about this guy in a rubber suit, a swim cap and googles. That is until I started into the water. I picked a place not to bother anyone which was away from the small boat dock.

Well, the lake is actually only two years old and the sides are lined with giant rocks. Slippery giant rocks. So, I was going easy in until I slipped with the water about to my mid thigh. I just went for it then and dove forward. Kids cheered, wife looked up from her magazine. I started to swim. Amazing! My legs almost felt like they were out of the water. I was two minutes into the swim and realized I hadn't started my stop watch so I did at this point.

I realized at this point drowning was almost not an option. The only problem would be a cramp, but I felt comfortable enough with the temp that I did not even fear this. People were really watching me, I think mostly to see what this crazy dude was going to do. Amazing! This almost felt too easy. I stopped to look around a couple times. Obviously the surface temps were rising because my feet got plenty cold 6 feet under the water. The rest of me not so cold even with no sleeves. I then tried to breast stroke a little, very uncomfortable. Feet way to high and neck position annoying, so I guess that option is out if I get tired.

I figure surface temp just under 15.5 C. A little deeper probably closer to 13 C or lower. I got out at the 13 minute mark. I swam to the boat dock to avoid rocks. I wanted to swim longer and could, but I was still drawing attention. Also, in the back of my mind the "No Swimming" sign that the kids pointed out was working on me and I didn't want to explain to them why the DNR officer was yelling at their dad and threatening him with a ticket, which I don't think can happen, not the yelling but the ticket, but this was on the authority of people who get yelled at a lot about swimming in the river. Something about a rule, but not a law. Huh? It is highly recommended, but we can't do anything about it.

I am encouraged that the swim will go at least as planned without the net effect of destroying me before the bike. Yea!

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

If only I could buy a bike and/or running shoes to make me improve as dramatically.

SJV said...

You ain't kiddin.' I'm glad you had the same experience as me. I'm kind of excited to try this thing in the open water with other people. I have no idea how I will compare to them, but it will be something to see.

Matt just pointed out that we will both be setting personal records in every event, so keep that in mind. This is going to be a record-setting race.