Friday, May 23, 2008

Wetsuit initiated

My friends, I have taken the suit to the pool. While there, I saw the light. That thing is awesome. I was reminded of the TV movie from our youth, The First Olympics. It was about the American Olympic team going to attend the first modern Olympics. Well, I don't know if anyone else in the world remembers that movie, but there were a couple of very memorable scenes for me. One involved the shot-putter, who practiced every day with a cannon ball, and he kept comparing to what they knew the Germans or some other competitors were doing, and he was way short. He was getting depressed, but his coach kept helping him with his form and he kept working out, getting stronger, and he got closer and closer with his distance, then they went to the Olympics and when he picked up the shot, it was several pounds lighter and smaller than the cannonball he had been using the whole time, so suddenly he was the best guy in the world.

Well, that's how I felt today swimming in the wetsuit. I was shooting across the water like a water skeeter. It was such a cool feeling to move so quickly with so little effort. I have suddenly amended my swim expectations. I don't think I will have to do the reverse butterfly anymore. It was almost enjoyable. No gasping, no wild kicking, trying to keep my feet from being down at a 45 degree angle from my torso. Oh boy. I'm starting to look forward to this race. I even did some kick drills and I moved pretty well. I guess my kick isn't as bad as it could be.

I'm not suggesting I will place higher than 400th, but I will be closer to the pregnant Athena who comes in 399th.

No comments: