Friday, May 9, 2008

Scheduled a bike fit

I spoke with the bike fitter today. I started off by telling him about where I am as a cyclist. Old Low flexibility, can't imagine I'll have too aggressive of an aero position.... But that I'd like to add the clip-on aerobars as an option for my rides.
As soon as you mention clip-ons you get the commentary that it is a compromise and not the fit will reflect that. I agreed and said that I will definitely be thinking about that as we adjust. (Choosing between the roadbars and the aerobars.)

I then mentioned that I was considering a new saddle and asked if I should have that decision made before having the fit.
He asked what saddle I had now and what I was looking for and why.
I explained how when I am climbing I feel that I'm set very far back on my current saddle. I'm not sure if it's a saddle length/ shape or just bad cycling technique.
He said it sounded more like I don't have the saddle setup exactly right and suggested that I wait until after the fit to decide about the saddle, as the fit will likely change my opinion about any saddle.
Fair enough. I think I'd prefer to have fewer variables going into this process anyhow.

I'm scheduled for next Saturday morning. So I have a whole week to think about how he's going to say. "Who sold you this bike? This bike is the wrong size for you". :-)

No comments: