Friday, May 9, 2008

Master of Nothing!

Went to first Master's swim this morning. I just got back to work, through my emails so I thought I would post. Meghan, who seemed nice enough, is our coach. By far 10 to 15 yrs younger than anyone else there. 6 am Start with 20 laps, go easy. So off I go. I stopped at 16 because everyone else was done. Which in retrospect didn't matter, because she gave them a workout, then said to me put on your fins. Which I thought was great. Well I had to do a catch up stroke for 200 yds. This shows off some deficiencies in breathing technique which I didn't expect. I then did 5 X 100 (25 back, 25 catchup, 50 perfect (right) stroke). So at this point I had done 1100. This is where I think I made her nervous with a blank stare. She said here is a pull bouy do 3 x 100 breathing every 3 strokes the first 100 then every 5 STROKES! then every 3 strokes. I must have looked real confused because she explained how this was going to help my breathing. I pointed out oxygen is problem for me, I need a lot. So, I started off. First 100 not bad, drank a little. Now, I know I am going slow enough that I would be breathing more than most for 25 m, but man did I drink some water. by 75 m I was struggling to hold five strokes before a breath. The last hundred I was dieing and I was back to every 3.

It was 10 to 7 so she said I was done. I swam a cooldown and I was out of there. I am going back. It was nice to get back in the pool and this really pushed me. She did say my stroke mechanically didn't look bad. Based on my work out she was really trying to improve my position and balance.

I am the lonely guy in the end lane. The good news is the pool is awesome. Very fast, I did not even think to look at the viewing window. I will have to see next week.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

Reading your post reminds me how bad I still am. Most of the drills you mentioned I still wouldn't do well.

I went swimming last night and just messed around with technique. I need to start doing that more often.

Seeing how you already have a much lower stroke count, I'm not going to be surprised when you start posting great 100m times.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your classes.