Wednesday, May 21, 2008

DNF in Delaware

Sorry to report I took a DNF for the first time in 20 years. Ended up running really well ( 20 miles in 2:49:00) but I did not get enough fluids back in me and by 22 my HR was 186. By 23.5 I knew I was in big trouble as my fingers were tingly and I was very dizzy just walking. I thought I may be able to walk it in, but from 23.5 to 24 I felt like walking, sitting, standing,....just living was going to make me pass out. I teach this stuff but didn't recognize it in myself until it was too late.

**** side note****
Exercise Physiology 101- Cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate. Lose a lot of fluid and the stroke volume comes down, thus the only way to keep cardiac output high is by increasing the heart rate. ( At 17 miles my HR was avg 179, and I was still running about 8:15/mi and feeling good). I was consuming drinks, but not enough. I believe this is the time my HR spiked, but I just brushed it off because I felt so good.
************

I took a ride to the finish area, hung out at medical for a little bit and then got the fluids and food back in me, took a shower and drove home. Feel fine now, but disappointed that I didn't finish. I really believe that even if I had tried to walk to the finish I might have had a stay in a Delaware Hospital. After walking the last 1 mile to 24 ( not wanting to but couldn't find any medical help) and then standing by a police car for about 10 minutes, my BP was 90/52 ( not enough fluid to have a higher BP) and my heart rate still 150!!! They checked my blood sugar which took several minutes of "milking" my finger just to get one drop. Oh well, ..... I'm calling this a 24 mile training run in Delaware.

There were a couple of really strange sites at the marathon. 1. A guy who pinned his number directly to himself. 2. I do fell write about writing on here, but it was , by far, the grossest running site I've ever seen!!

All of this leads to the fact that I will not be doing the Tango Solo. I will gladly team with one or more persons, but I'm out for the doing the complete event this year.

Anyone know of a good physiologist??

3 comments:

CSquared said...

Just one, he had some trouble in marathon last week.

Bummer Dude. That blows. Of course I have heard some odd stories about people hallucinating and such and doing odd things, so at least you didn't let it get to that.

I am sure a pride issue was working in there somewhere as we all would have, I'm glad you stopped to get help. I know I would struggle with that decision, with or without the knowledge of how the body works.

20 mile race you had a great time.

catmarlson said...

At least your recovery was much quicker than mine.

Maybe by the time you try Delaware again, I'll be ready to join you.

I found that picture of the guy with the number pinned on. Wonder if he's from NYC, we seem to attract people like him.

catmarlson said...

"I knew I was in big trouble as my fingers were tingly and I was very dizzy just walking. I thought I may be able to walk it in, but from 23.5 to 24 I felt like walking, sitting, standing,....just living was going to make me pass out."

I might feel the same way after our fundraiser party tonight. Not sure if waiting by a NYC police car would be a good idea for me tho'.