Thursday, May 15, 2008

It's getting better all the time... I think.

I spoke with Dr Jim yesterday. After describing my symptoms he thinks I've got the double whammy. Hip flexor and IT Band. My IT band issue isn't at the knee but on the side of the hip. (Although my knee still has a bit of odd tendon tracking I didn't have before the Half Marathon)
The good news is I really feel the stretching/ibuprofen seems to be helping. I've found hip flexor stretches which I seem to be able to do well. I haven't had as much success performing the IT Band stretches. I'll keep trying different stretches as I find them.
I'm also thinking that maybe having some ice packs available after the longer events might be a smart move. (Jumping back into the lake following the Mooseman might have similar effects).

I couldn't keep away from Masters Swimming. It's the only "coached" event I have and I can use as much help as I can get. So I went to class last night. I took it easy on the kicking and any time there was a sprint I'd use the pull buoy so I wouldn't be tempted to kick hard. It went better than expected and I'm glad that I went. My shoulders definitely got a workout. It just isn't nearly as aerobic when you don't use your legs.

I'm going to bike tonight, probably on the trainer. That way if I feel that I shouldn't be riding I won't be 10 miles away from where I can quit. It will likely be raining anyhow.

I was also thinking on scheduling a bigger goal event for this fall.
I was also talking to Jim about the NH marathon. (See, I am still quite optimistic about my recovery). This would be a tough marathon to start out with but what the heck, they are all hard.
The other option could be the Jerseyman Half Iron. I can't say how soon it will fill or if that is an issue. Just thought I'd throw this out at you guys for consideration.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

I too am very optimistic about your recovery. I hope you can feel the, as stated by the Beach Boys, "Good Vibrations".

I as always state my case I am happy the OLY level. I have not desire at this point for the Half Iron or Marathon options. Just not a desire. I am also feeling the increased hard week. My legs are shot today after three days of intense exercise. I hope to keep it up. The hard intervals will be harder. I can't wait for the taper.

SJV said...

I would be happy to shoot for the half distance sometime, although this year seems unlikely for me. If the kettlebells work as promised, maybe I'll be ready. I'll assess the possibilities as the summer progresses. Still have to figure out what we're doing with the Tango. I am not shooting for the half distance, but if I lose 30 pounds and run 40 miles a week, then we might have something.