Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ides of May eve update

Since everyone is saying what's going on, I'll do the same. It was quiet for too long. Nice ride Craig. Get better, Matt.

Today I started training with my very own kettlebell. Yep, I finally bought one, a 45 pounder. Curiously and without consultation, I also received a belated birthday gift from Jackie and Nathan, my old housemates, which was the book Enter the Kettlebell, by Pavel. I will be employing his recommendations in the coming days. Matt, Pavel says that Americans have messed up hip flexors and he can teach you to walk like a Russian, and have flexible flexors in the process. Kettlebells will help, of course. I have discovered that 45 pounds in one hand is pretty heavy. I think I will be rather powerful if I keep this up. Can't wait to find out. It does get the heart racing, that's for sure. I hope to bring it up with me to New Hampshire, so you can experience the joy for yourselves.

I visited the chiropractor last week and this week, and I am now done. He thinks I am in good shape. Two visits was all it took. Something was up with my clavicle, and now it has better mobility but it's really sore. Hopefully it's all the muscles becoming reacquainted with being in the right places. I'm feeling good.

My weight loss regimen for the month is finally beginning. Had too many restaurants in there at the beginning. I have trouble controlling myself when we go out. Still shooting for 250 or under by June. I think it's possible. Pants are getting looser. I see lots of fruit in my future.

I did the kettlebell routine, log grip flips, rode the bike and ran today. If I can keep this up, I might be well under my goal by race time.

Looking forward to getting together. I wish we had more time up there, but maybe later in the summer.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

My hip is tender again this morning. I need to get back on inversion table. I also need to see the Chiropractor. I know he is going to lengthen my shortened leg, essentially twist my hip into the right place.

catmarlson said...

I'm starting to think the "Venerable' part of our blog title is taking on the wrong meaning. We might need to hire a Physical Therapist to travel with us to races.

As for the Kettlebell, if 45 pounds is heavy for you, I'll only be able to look at the thing.
I am interested in adding the weight training, so I'll definitely check out the book.

Weight: 175 is no longer a goal for Mooseman. I'm not working out enough and I'm not doing well at lowering the calories. In other words, I'm going up not down. Hopefully I can keep it in check.

I did a ton of stretching last night. It took some time just trying to find ones that worked well.
Between the stretching and the ibuprofen, I felt like I should go running! Of course I didn't do that. I'm starting to think I'll stop taking the ibuprofen Friday and see how I feel Saturday.

Keep up the good work guys!