Sunday, June 1, 2008

Big Brick and Weigh-in

Alright, today was my last big workout prior to the race, and it was a big one for me, and rather educational, I might add. I decided to do a brick with a semi-official-type transition from bike to run so I could get that down a little better. My bike ride was the same hilly 37 mile loop I have done before, and I did it essentially at race pace, I think, minus the adrenaline and other racers pushing (or pulling) me. I believe it took me about 2:20 to complete that portion. It was extremely sunny, so I was glad I had put sunscreen on my arms. This was also one of the hottest rides I have done. So my first bit of learning: This is a long loop essentially going out toward the west and coming back toward the east, and both times I noticed I was really flying on one portion that didn't seem like I should be, even going 23 mph up a pretty long hill! Last time, this is where I left my training partner in the dust over several miles, and I think I would have done the same today if I had one. I was smokin.' So I thought "What is the deal? Why am I so full of power and energy at this point in the ride? Is my double caffeine gel finally kicking in or did my Clif bar finally make it into my bloodstream?" Well, here is my hypothesis as of today. It is the wind. When I have a headwind, I suffer more than most due to my considerable profile size, while I benefit more from a tailwind for the same reason. My sail is bigger. This point where I suddenly gain speed is right at the 90 degree turn where I start heading east, and the wind was behind me both times. I can only hope we have a relatively still day for the race or we get a tailwind for a good portion of it. But we can't do much about that. I was just surprised by the size of the effect. I had no idea I could go uphills like that, even with a nice tailwind, but it was pretty encouraging. Of course this came after battling grueling, unrelenting headwinds for many miles.

I completed the bike feeling pretty good. Not a spectacular time, but definitely acceptable given all the variables. Around 16 mph average, if my calculations are correct. If this is true, and my run is as sucky as I expect it to be, 400th place might be extremely optimistic. Whatever. I pull into my transition zone (my yard) and whip my shoes off and toss the new ones one, grab an extra water bottle and start running. I notice immediately that this blows. I continue anyway, suck down the whole bottle of water and declare that I can't keep running, no matter how slowly. I decide I better walk, then do intervals between walking and running for about 2.5 miles. Making it home, I declare that I am doomed. I am not going to be able to complete the run in the Mooseman! However, I am terribly thirsty and think maybe I am dehydrated. But first, my mind thinks "This could be my chance! Get to the scale! I have been trying to get under 250 for months." I started the ride weighing 251, my best in years, regardless. Boom! 246. My official weigh-in for the end of May is complete, and I made my goal! (I like to make lemonade out of lemons, you see.) Okay, so I learned something else, here. Jim just taught this lesson, but I hadn't yet experienced it for myself. I'm glad I had this opportunity before the race. This is not to say I won't have the same thing happen, but at least I'll know what it is next time. I need another bottle cage and bottle on my bike. I better drink a bit before the swim too.

Unfortunately, by the time dinner was over, I was back over 250, but I made it, people, and it's only going down from here.

Running is not my favorite thing. I would much prefer it if they had us pulling a bus for a mile instead of running. That would be a fun race to watch. Alas, I must make my way in the world of normal-sized people. Maybe I will become one someday.

9 comments:

CSquared said...

Of course you did 37 mile bike. But I guess at the Moose you will be doing a 30 minute swim. 6 of 1, half dozen of another.

Hydration should be easier during the race. It should be available every five miles on the bike and at least every two miles on the run, probably every mile. So, the second bottle may not be as important. They also provide the bottles. So, you start by going to a water station and putting their bottles on your bike, then throw them at them while you pick up new ones at the next station.

The run sucks, it will always suck. Especially the first mile. After sucking down that bottle of water you must have walked, because the cramps will come if you do that during the race and I am only talking from sprint experience.

I read in the Eric Harr book to avoid eating, drinking too much just after a transition.

I have calculated that when I should start eating is when I hit the first two hills on the bike. So, I might wait until I am down the back side of the second one.

Finish is the goal, running the whole way is for chumps who didn't leave everything on the course. They could have gone faster. You will finish and say "I left it all out there, now please go find my left lung it would be helpful to have it".

SJV said...

Thank you, Craig. I would prefer to leave it all on the bike course, and at least get myself a surprising ranking in one discipline, although T2 is looking good too. I might kick some serious butt in T2.

My rationale was the same as yours, that the swim would sort of make up for the extra biking. Lately, I've been running well after my shorter bikes, feeling all warmed up and pretty good. Not this time.

I did not realize they give you bottles at the race. Is that right? So all I need is the second cage? I wanted to put my special elixir in my first two bottles, then grab what I can as I go by after that. If I can use their bottles, that would be cool.

As for drinking after the transition, well, I was dying of thirst for one thing, so it seemed like a good idea, but I never got any cramps or anything. I just felt like I was out of juice. I definitely didn't want to eat anything. It was so sunny and windy, I'm sure I was drying out like a raisin. I never got sweaty because all moisture was whisked away instantly. I better calculate how and when I am going to stay fresh as well. I must drink one elixir early on the bike and another about halfway in, then hit a few water stations on the run. Maybe I will have a nice chat with the people at those water stations before moving on.

I think I would benefit from having a bottle on my bars that I could suck up through a straw. I know they're out there, but I don't think I can get one fast enough, plus it's more money.

There is always more to learn.

catmarlson said...

Where did you read about bottle handups? Are you sure it's not just for the Half Iron only?
First I've heard about this. I seem to remember reading that they suggest starting with 2 full bottles. That's the only thing I remember them talking about.

CSquared said...

I am not going from reading anything, I just recall the Morgantown one does this. The bottles are not intended for you to keep, they sanitize an usually use at the next one.

Shawn, if the vendors are at the beach Friday night you can usually get anything you need. Sippy Cups usually available.

CSquared said...

I read the info about athletes encouraged to bring two water bottles. The only place you can drop them is the one aid station during the Olympic level.

I guess I am trying to figure out why do you drop if you can't receive another from an aid station worker or do you???

Looks like I might invest in a couple throw aways????

Like I said Morgantown just lets you grab the HFP racing bottles at the start line aid station and put them on your bike.

CSquared said...

MC, what did they do at the Bassman, just for comparison on the aid stations?

catmarlson said...

There was no aid on the bike at bassman. There were a couple/few water stations on the run.
I could post to the Mooseman forums if it's an issue. I figure 2 bottles will get me there.

CSquared said...

I figured two would get me there too. My reference has always been lots of water bottles for anyone who wanted them.

Now I am worried about Shawn, maybe he should have two cages, a sippy cup, and a camel back. Then I would feel comfortable he won't go down due to dehydration. I see temps will be pushing 30 degrees C.

Whew! Hopefully not at 9 am.

catmarlson said...

OK. From the race director:
there is one bike aid station for the International (at mile 10) and 5 aid stations on the Half Iron bike: miles 10, 20, 30, 39, and 49, I think....

They'll have Adirondack Water, Gatorade Endurance Formula Orange, Clif Shot energy gels (half Iron only)....

You'll just grab a bottle as you ride on by