Tuesday, June 3, 2008

New Chiropractor

Now that my hip flexor and IT Band seem to be doing better, I guess I had to move on to the next thing. Ever since the Brooklyn Half Marathon, my left knee has had some tracking issues. Probably because it's been compensating for all the other injuries. Well it was bothering me enough today that I decided I needed to get something done to it. My normal chiropractor is not in this week, so I gave a guy in the city a try.

I went in, explained what I had gone through the last month and told him about my race this weekend. I wanted an opinion about whether I would set myself back by running this weekend.

So he went through a bunch of stuff trying to find out if what I was saying about it not being painful was true. I passed that test. He could feel that it was tracking poorly though. It's easy to feel that, all the connecting stuff on the outside of my left knee just roll over each other oddly.
So he hooks my knee up to some sort of electro-stim, that's always somewhat funky. This one was very odd because it was contracting such large muscles. Then he came back in and kind of "hammered" the knee around, constantly checking the tracking by bending my knee.
Then he moved on to more typical chiropractor work, my hips and lower back issues. I have finally found someone else that can successfully adjust my lower back (at least this time). All his adjustments were very gentle actually, I was impressed with how successful he was able to do this with such little force.

I hop up off the table. Test the knee flex. It feels great! Of course I know it will very likely move back away from this adjustment, it's been in the wrong place for a month after all.
I'm very pleased, I had started my day thinking I might have to skip the run this weekend. He feels that I can run on it safely as well.

Of course now I'm wishing I had seen this guy earlier, but how would I know to do that? I'm just feeling better about having an answer for this knee issue.

My terrible training month of May is behind me. Let's see if I can crank it back up for the Mooseman and go in strong to the Morgantown race!

2 comments:

m said...

Good luck to you and all the other Moosemanners!

CSquared said...

Good job, my man. I told you before no injuries, but if you can get them fixed in time then so be it. I wish you were firing on all eight training wise, but sometimes you take what you get.

We are leaving tomorrow. I'll be near Hartford tomorrow night and in sunny Bristol just after noon sometime.

Moosemanners? It took me a second to read this right. Wasn't sure if you were talking about no hooves on the table or say excuse me when you bugle.:)

Thank you for the well wishes, I need some, but Shawn is the one who really needs them.