Wednesday, June 18, 2008

How does it stay up?

So after reading Shawn's post on his most enviable epiphany I decided I should share with you the epiphany I had yesterday as I returned (3rd time) to the Waterpolo workout/practice they hold in my local pool.

And my epiphany was this: the size of a man's speedo is inversely proportional to his prowess in Waterpolo.

I have never seen bathing suits that small. In addition to their diminutive size, they are labeled in the back with the letters: I (insert here the image of a little yellow waterpolo ball) NY.

But I 'm not fooled by the friendly slogan written across their butts. These guys are tough in the water. And although their practices are open to the public and they greet the out-of-shape new comers with warm smiles, those smiles are not the "welcome! Come play with us!" smiles that one would think. Oh no. They are "It was nice meeting you. You're going to die. " smiles.

Oh and I had another epiphany: it is a good idea to close your mouth and not breathe in as you sink in the water after attempting to throw the ball at the goalie while another player swims at lighting speed towards you.

On a good note, their warm-up workout is getting more doable, so I see improvement. Perhaps there is something to this Heart Rate thing...I do feel it rising mid-workout. Now all I need to work on is balancing that stupid ball with my small hand while floating in the water.

Needless to say, every bone in my body aches today but it's all in the quest for fitness...right? With the Flat as a pancake sprint around the corner I don't want a repeat of the Mooseman swim. NO BREASTSTROKE!!! That's my goal this time.

See you in the water,

Ruth

1 comment:

CSquared said...

I think Water Polo is for Rugby Players who know how to swim. We played in College Gym Class. The ability to swim is not nearly as important as your strength in the water. I fared well being a not so small guy with a strong leg whip when needed, but I have empathy for you.

I was also a lifeguard and remember well I had to assist a couple gents to pool wall during these gym classes based on their fatigue from getting pummeled by the real water polo players.