Saturday, June 21, 2008

Goals, Anyone?

Alright, Matt threw out the gauntlet. He made his goals public. Is anyone else human enough to do that?

Where's our spreadsheet? I need to add stuff!

I went on a 51-mile bike ride today. We didn't go all out, but it was a steady pace, averaged about 25 km/h (15.5 mph), with a stiff headwind for about 15 miles. Sunny as all get-out, with not a cloud to be seen, and hot. Given that we stopped once for a bathroom break and had several stop signs and map checks, I think our average would have been faster than my Mooseman pace without even pushing the envelope. Guess what? I felt great afterwards. Easily could've done another 25 miles, the only downside being I was out of water. Once again, I forgot to take my handlebar bottle. Of course there weren't any hand-ups either, as there would be in a race. This tells me that I can do the half-iron bike right now. I checked the results from Newfoundland last year, and even that pace wouldn't put me at the bottom, and of course if I get to the point where I can run 13 miles, I expect I will be biking faster than 27 km/h. Presumably, if I can run 13 miles, I will also be able to run them faster than I currently run my miles. I am truly not concerned about the 1.2 mile swim despite what happened at the Moose. I intend to make sure that's evident next weekend. No more screw-ups. I'm fairly certain I can do a respectable middle of the pack Half-iron swim too. It all hinges on the run. Can I lose enough weight and get enough road time in to be able to handle running for that long, and can I handle the overall duration of exertion, when I am constantly pressed for time?

I'm not even considering the potential value of a new bike in this calculation. One that is made from something other than steel and has more than 6 fixed cogs on the back wheel. A wheel that is also made of steel.

Matt, I'll tell you what. I am going to try to make it to Newfoundland with you. That is an awesome goal. You are a man among men, but I would like to be one of the men you are among. I'll be behind you, I grant, but we can hang out at the end. I'd love to go up there too. Never been. Maybe a two-week Maine-Newfoundland vacation next summer.

There are a lot of variables that could influence this decision between now and then, (dissertations, possibly?) but I think I have it in me. As you know, I am durable. It's not the duration that causes my troubles. It's the speed. But that can be influenced as well. I will do my best to make it happen. I want to be there.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

Awesome! You know how it is over here. The more the merrier and the party is in Newfoundland!

I agree, we need to get our spreadsheet going again. It's nice to see it all add up.