Friday, June 20, 2008

Feeling like a slacker

I knew the Mooseman and the Leukemia fundraiser were a driving force in my training but I'm not sure I realized how much.
I do think my "injury" is limiting my ability to improve in the short term. Which I say I'm fine with, but it's removing some of the excitement going into the next couple races. I feel that I'm trying to find the path which will let me make it through without causing any further damage.
So my short term goal is to survive the races and heal.

Scotty and Eric are thinking, "I saw this coming". I have a tendency to put a ton of effort into something, making sure I cover all the details giving it everything I've got. Then boom, I'm on to something else.

I don't think I'm onto something else. I think I'm lacking long term goals. My short term goal kind of stinks. So I think it's important that I put my long term goals out there. This is what I'm thinking:

Boston Marathon as Nathan's Runner for Dana Farber April 2009: I haven't told many people about this, I guess now I have.

IronMan 70.3 Newfoundland July 2009: Genine and I have wanted to travel that area for many years now. This would be the perfect excuse to go up there.

Those are the two big events at the moment. There are many smaller goals as well

Adding weight training to help prevent injury
20mph + on the bike
< 8 min/mile 10k's
And a list of stuff for the pool:
Kick, Kick, Kick.
Butterfly and the ability to do the other strokes properly.

And of course the Tri-Parties. The Bike and BBQ needs to be repeated sometime this summer.

Well now that that's out there, it's supposed to create a feeling of accountability for me.
I expect Genine will have a new road bike this weekend. That will add some pressure as well :-)

3 comments:

silent_scream said...

I congratulate you on your courage to share with us your long term goals.

I saw a doc in PBS about taking novices and getting them ready for the boston marathon. I t was very moving and 12 out of 13 were able to do it! The 13th had a stress fracture.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/marathon/calendar.html

m said...

It takes a lot of courage to post your goals publicly like that. I hope our swim workout last night didn't scare you from posting them in the future.

catmarlson said...

"I hope our swim workout last night didn't scare you from posting them in the future."

LOL! Quite the opposite. It is exactly what I'm looking for!
I know I looked absolutely ridiculus attempting the Butterfly kick, but if you guys weren't there, I wouldn't have even tried.
The kick board kicking is going to take awhile. I feel that I can only stay relaxed for about 20 yds. LAME!!! Ah well, I guess it wasn't too long ago that I spent more time hanging onto the pool side than swimming laps.
It's time to spend time on my weaknesses. However embarrassing it may be, hopefully respectability isn't too far away.