Monday, June 16, 2008

Ready for more?

I want a new bike.

Okay, on the one hand, I am not good enough to deserve a good bike, but when I test drive them, it sure feels like I could become a better biker in one day. I discovered one problem on my bike that I must fix before the next race. I can't shift from my largest front ring to my second ring no matter what I do, until I go down to the granny gear, then back up to the middle ring. I have to say...that is not desirable at those moments when I need to be on the middle ring. I'm going to try to fix that, but the front dérailleur is already at its inner limit on the big ring, rubbing when I have the chain on the 12 in back. Oh, well...some experimentation is in order. It's either that or a new Trek Madone. Let's see. Free fix by monkeying around with the cable? Or 4000 dollars? But the money saves me several pounds too. So I can eat Genine's ziti before the race and not worry about it weighing me down.

I've also been ruminating on my swim. I think I just need to go out slower. Don't kick. Just cruise. I think I went way too fast at the start and that kicked everything into high gear. I don't want that. I'm a low HR guy. I have very long arms that should be able to power me to a speedy swim if I just keep in under control. I tried to go to the pool tonight but there was lightning, so I had to run instead. That went surprisingly well, though, so maybe things are looking up. I guess all I need to aim for in the next race is coming in higher than the 85th percentile. That is to say higher than the bottom 15%. Can I do it?

3 comments:

CSquared said...

I thought you went out way too fast at the Mooseman, but I started to think maybe I am going to slow or that you were way faster than I thought.

I know I purposely took it easy to the second buoy at the Moose.

SJV said...

You should have yelled at me, "Slow down, you idiot! Watch your heart rate!" It's all your fault this happened.

Your write-up helped me to see that I must have been going too fast. I can go pretty fast when I have too, but I shouldn't have been doing it then. I don't want to pull away from you like that. The next race is going to be a lot different.

CSquared said...

You understand this is all Monday Morning Quarterback stuff. At the time I thought you were putting a smack down swim on me, to build your lead and try to hold it during the run. Most of the bike I believed this to be true.