Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Asthma / "waves of warmth" / comedy

I seem to be complaining about everything lately. So why stop now?
Last night at the beginning of my 5k my lungs decided to revolt. Definitely an asthma attack. Very short lived. Lungs became constricted I just kept running, they warmed up and I was good to go. Then I had to deal with the junk in the lungs that an asthma attack leaves behind. TMI, sorry.

I haven't had any type of inhaler since Jr High School, or somewhere there abouts. I've had very few issues with asthma over the last 20+ years. My most recent attacks have always been coupled with exercise during times of very high emotional stress.
So what am I so stressed about? All I can think is my work schedule and personal schedule are both in high gear right now. I've also been driving to our NJ facility, (Traffic Stress) a couple times a week. Maybe that long train ride into the city is actually good for me?

I'm not concerned about it. I'm just documenting the fact that it happened, so if it starts to become an issue I'll have a journal of it.

On another note. This might be directed at Dr Jim.
Shawn was asking how I felt after the race Sunday. The one odd condition I seemed to be having was I would suddenly become very warm for short intervals. This continued to happen through Monday afternoon. I suppose I should have been taking my temperature, could have been interesting.
I've read other race reports from Bassman and people were complaining of frozen feet on the bike and such. As you saw in the pictures, I didn't put on any cold weather gear for the bike. I didn't really feel any ill effects, but I find that once the race starts, I don't notice much of anything.
Anyhow, I'm guessing I was just adjusting from the cold or something like that.

Because this post is so incredibly boring, I feel compelled to add some humor to it. Fortunately Kevin whom I'm running the Brooklyn race this weekend with has provided me with material.
The Kevin in this news story is in fact the same Kevin.

2 comments:

Jim said...

No idea on the bursts of warmth.

Maybe you were just "thawing out"

CSquared said...

I never have the bursts of warmth, but I do know after I run or bike when it is cold out, my core or stomach feels real cold, even though during the workout I had felt comfortable. I freak Tamara out by making her touch my stomach. It feels real cold.