Thursday, April 3, 2008

Swim Test

Ran a test last night to see how long it would take for me to swim a 1,000 yds non stop, staying within myself and keeping good form. Non-stop worked out, staying within myself was happening, my form may not have made it the whole way, I hope I didn't do any permanent damage to my muscle memory. 23:48 was my time. That would be 2:22 per 100yds. This is really only 914 meters, so that translates into 2:33 per 100m. I could keep this pace for a long time so I have determined my 1500m time would be 38:25. Not good, but at least I am out of the water.

I have now went to the Mooseman results and found the first person who swam slower than this. Placing 340, a guy (I won't name him because he may not want to be known for this) swam a 40 minute swim. He was the first. There was not even a 37 minute until him. The next person slower than the time I listed was at position 358, he was over 48 minutes, he looked a lot like a runner who did this on a drunken bet. The first 37 minute person was the next position 359 @ 37:42.

Now, I didn't kill myself in my test, but I was not doing backflips afterwards either. I want to do a sub 30 minute swim without destroying my bike/run, but that is 8 minutes. That equates to over 30 seconds faster per 100m. Only one trip to the pool per week is not going to get it. My form is coming, but I still lack the speed.

Was it 7 or 9 seconds faster with the wetsuit. This means I am down to about 25 seconds I need to trim per 100. Of course that is a 16.5 % improvement. I am only talking a 5% improvement when going from 32 to 33.6 KmPH on the bike, and only a 5% improvement going from 5 minute/km to 4.75 mins/km. I have my work cut out for me.

4 comments:

catmarlson said...

Of course you are forgetting the race day boost as well. That's gotta be worth a few seconds right?
Also there are no walls. (Ruth will argue with me here). I'm convinced they slow me down, even with a push off. I have to find my form again after every single turn. That's not easy for me. I'm looking forward to open water swimming.

I think my swim times will be very different from race to race this year. For a few different reasons.
Sighting: Not sure I swim a good line
Form: some times I just can't get it all going. Or I just forget something (good kick for example).
Conditions: Weather, Temp, caught in a pack...
Pacing: Do I get caught up in the moment and go out too fast and hurt my overall time?

I have a feeling I'll be disappointed in my swim times. (I had hopes of 30 min or less). Yet if I get out of the water feeling good and ready to bike, I'll feel like I did a good job.

CSquared said...

I am with you on the turns. If I could do an effective flip turn or even had a little more style on a touch and go, but it isn't something I can spend time on, so I think. I am looking forward to some open water swims. In May the local folks jump in the river. I am hoping to hook up. I feel a little safer from the barges if there are three or four crazies rather than just this one crazy.

Not to be funny, but that two or three seconds is a potential 2% decrease in time. I need to keep thinking like Dory from Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim"

silent_scream said...

wow under 24 minutes for 1000 yrds is impressive.
I've been training since September and I'm still at 1hr for 1650 meters...maybe I'll get the dubious distinction at Mooseman of coming in dead last...which is OK as long as i'm not really dead.
I'm counting on adrenaline and peer pressure to cut that time (i doubt the wet suit will do too much except keep me a little warmer though I've been told it will make a difference. I plan on testing it at my local pool) Keep up the good work...are you doing the 1650 in six weeks workout?

CSquared said...

I don't have a real program for the swimming. I am currently focused on the Total Immersion concept and most of my laps are done trying to reduce or limit my stroke count. The best I can do is 16, most of the time I am pushing 20 per length.

I currently have one speed and no ability to accelerate.

I just decided to try a 1000 to see where I was. I think in three weeks I will increase it 250 and see what a 1250 looks like. Otherwise stroke count and efficiency is the game.