Sunday, April 6, 2008

Bike Trainer Graphs



This is Suffer O Rama, after my 5.5 mile 5K pace run yesterday. If you would follow along with the DVD looking at my graph. You would find there are two places where I just dropped out, I was considering not finishing the workout. Obviously I got through it.
Because I'm still clueless on my biking skill, what do I get out of this graph?
1) HR Max for the workout was 168. If I use that for my zone 5A, my Bike zone are as follows:
Zone 1: 137 or less
Zone 2: 137-150
Zone 3: 151-156
Zone 4: 157-167
Zone 5A: 168-171
From my Aero builder trainer rides and my perceived exertion, I would think this is a very good measure.
The Bassman is a 29 mile bike. I'm going to be out there 1:40:00 or longer. To be on the safe side, I think I should try to keep my HR Zone 3 or lower. I know I'm going to have to focus to make this happen. I'm going to want to push harder right out of the gate, which will just lead to a burn out and a weak finish.
2) I'm more than a little surprised by the speeds I'm hitting on intervals. It is just a trainer ride, not sure how that translates to real life. Probably very much like my swim sprints, I've got a long way to go before my distance speed is closer to these sprint numbers.
3) I didn't put power on the graph. Max power was 419. Average was 157. This 150ish power is what I been seeing on the long steady rides as well. (not awesome I'm sure).
Now that it's warming up, I need to get into some group rides and start to get into the Bike focus. I think I've been saying that for about 12 months now. Ah well, that's why triathlon is so fun. Only 3 events but it seems like there is a ton of stuff to learn and work on. Training with power is on the list.

4 comments:

SJV said...

Now I'm going to have to try Suffer-o-Rama, since I finally got my power meter working and I have some understanding of how to read it. I think you are going to kill me. During my 90 minute ride the other day, I only averaged like 130 or something. Seems pitiful. Okay, it might be nice to power some of my lights with that thing, but it isn't going to keep me in the peloton. Not that there are pelotons in triathlon, but you get the idea. I was hoping to be over 200 watts average, but I guess that's a goal for which I can shoot. I think you're looking pretty good. Your plan seems sound, but you will probably want to wear the HR monitor outside and see how maintaining that target HR feels in the real world. With all the hills and stuff, it's a lot different. I think if you keep training like this, you are going to be a serious age-grouper next year.

catmarlson said...

I guess I should mention that I don't consider the power reading to be accurate in the real world of power.
I'm using it as a relative reference point for myself. I wouldn't use it to compare with anyone else's results. There are too many variables.

As for my HR outside on the bike, It certainly is going to be more difficult to hold the zone. I do think those Zone numbers will hold up tho'. We will find out soon.

Thanks for the kudos. I can only hope to stay as inspired as I am right now. I couldn't ask for a better scenario.
The Mooseman event with so many people going up to watch or race, is amazing.
The fact you guys have been sticking with me on this blog for over a year now.
I've got a fun group to work out with locally.
Work and Home life has been solid.
The weight loss has been a nice confidence boost as well. (that can't continue forever obviously).
All good stuff.

Serious Age Grouper.... at 39 is that the final year in that division?
I hope it goes better than my final tri as a clydesdale last summer. I'm still kicking myself over that wrong turn. grrrrrr.

CSquared said...

39 is the last year in that group. Stepping up to the 40+ age group is usually no advantage. You beat more guys in this group, but you usually get beat by more guys. Mid life crisis stuff, more serious guys hanging in there.

Sticking with you for a year? We are only trying to keep up. Suffer-o-Rama sounds like fun. Looking for the time to suffer myself. Spring activities are picking up at the Cerra's.

This is Levi's first year at little league. We skipped the tee-ball years, straight to what they call "C" Ball (pitching machine). He hung in with the group yesterday for his first practice. He made contact on 40-50% of the balls out of the machine, nothing fair. First time seeing this, he was way too late on the swing. I bring this up, because by his level of enthusiasm, it looks like some ball toss after work is coming my way. I hope to adjust my schedule to keep the workouts going. This weekend was not good, but I got the long run in. Also, decided to do a partial remodel of the bathroom, new floor, window, toilet, & counter. Got the floor almost done.

catmarlson said...

That's awesome for Levi! I've never been in front of a pitching machine. So answer me this, what signals the fact it is about to be launched?
I'm sure my swing would be late as well. Timing pitcher's delivery was half the battle. The other half was the strength to power a level swing.
Which brings me to a product I had as a kid which insurance companies or the government would not allow now. Johnny Bench Batter Up. Simply a tire filled with concrete with a pole in the center. Then a plastic baseball at the end of a fiberglass rod which has a heavy duty rubber band to spin it back at you time an again. This saved my parents hours of throwing to me. When I say hours I probably mean Months.
So to help Levi and win you time back into your schedule....
http://coachnick0.tripod.com
/bbtoday/id67.html
(paste those last 2 lines together)
I was the power hitter on most every team I was on. I attribute that to Johnny Bench batter up.
Sorry this new one is so expensive. I'd say it's worth it if you think he'd enjoy baseball more if he's the best hitter on the team.

I've got to do some work on the house soon as well. Otherwise I won't be allowed to have any gatherings at our house this summer. Funny how these things work.