Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pool Upgrade

So I was talking with Aaron at the Y last night. He was filling me in on why the Y was closed for that week. Apparently the filter running our pool was the original 1970's filter. How gross is that?

The good news is, it has been upgraded. The new filter/pump turns over a much higher volume of water and of course is much more effective. There have been times our pool has looked pretty nasty so this is a big deal.
For whatever reason, the Y's in our county are nowhere near as nice as the ones I see elsewhere. I think it's lack of looking for Corporate sponsors but I really can't say that for sure. All I know is I would love one of the facilities to have a nice cardio / weight room. Maybe I should try to get onto the board and get involved, instead of just complaining about it. (like I have the time).

2 comments:

CSquared said...

I applaud them for there ability to use the resources and function with what has been given to them. Good stewards of what they are in charge of.

When I worked at a camp in Jennerstown, PA, we had to back flush the Diatomaceous earth filter by hand. Essentially you re-valved the pump to run backwards through the filter, then you had to create pressure on the filter to flush out the crud, but you could only do it temporarily, so you had this pump handle where you closed the outlet to of the filter and then opened it quick.

The fun part was the handle stuck and if you pressurized it too long you could destroy the pump. You always had someone on the breaker switch in case the handle stuck too hard. I think the pump was from the 70's, but I know the filter was from the 50's. Aw, the good old days. They replaced the whole system the winter after I left. It was a new camp director my last year and he only helped me once but remembered the experience enough to find money in the budget for a replace.

Remember the dirt doesn't matter nearly as much as the body discharges. Chlorine is the key.

catmarlson said...

"body discharges"
Sadly we are all too familiar with those at our pool.
They should just shock the pool after every Open Kid Swim.