Friday, April 18, 2008

New Visitors / Commentary

Genine's Swimmer from the Bloomingdale's team is moving to Chicago. So over the last few weeks we've been scrambling to find a replacement. Eric was more than willing to do it but it was my feeling that he's got his hands full already. Tammy is expecting and due in June and of course Ryan is starting to have many weekend activities that Eric is involved with.
So I sent out an email to team F.A.S.T (Shawn corrected me grammatically after the last post, it should read): Fanatical Aquaholic Super Triathletes.
Surprisingly enough Esther responded that she would be willing to swim for Team Bloomingdales. Surprising because the Mooseman is the weekend following her first Half Iron (Black Bear). Once again, I'm amazed at how this whole event keeps evolving. She hasn't commented or posted yet but I'm guessing we will see something soon. (I'll be curious to see if she starts talking trash, ha ha).

Maija is also aware of our blog and has commented already. She is also a blogger, check it out, she is a serious competitor. As you guys know, I always have a ton of questions. She has been a great source of advice, and I get to see what it takes to get to the next level.

So you all will get to meet Esther up at the Mooseman. As for Maija, maybe I can convince her to join a relay team for the Tango. Actually between her and her husband, I'm guessing they could do the 2 person relay and make the podium.

3 comments:

CSquared said...

Define serious Competitor. If you mean she can swim fast, run fast, and bike fast, while having a commitment to complete hard workouts as SERIOUS, and appears she actually places in races (caught that in a quick view of her blog, she even won money), maybe you have something.

But Shawn and I think we could be really good if we just applied ourselves and ate less stuff that was bad for us, and feel the need to make excuses why we couldn't workout because kids, school or work got in the way (I hope I'm not speaking out of turn for you Shawn), then, well, you know people might think we are serious competitors. Of course I wouldn't want people think I was too serious, because then I may not come across as fun as I currently am, then people might not like me . . . Where was I.

Oh yea! Welcome to Esther and Maija (seriously).

SJV said...

I don't think you are speaking out of turn at all. In fact, you are exactly right. I think we are very serious competitors. We just aren't competitive! Our excuses are excellent. Who is going to complain that we put our families and career commitments ahead of a hobby? I'm sure you're right that if only we had time...

If I could fully immerse myself in training for a year, I think I might have a chance of becoming a world-class Highland Gamer, but even with training such as that aimed at the three disciplines in question, I'm not gonna win any thiathlons. I think I weighed slightly over 200 pounds in that picture of me Matt put up a while ago, so even looking like that, I would have been a Clydesdale.

I might be able to get competitive at short-distance flat-course bicycle time-trialing. I still remember an episode of The Superstars in which Lyle Alzado beat a bunch of running backs and other athletes in the bike race, proving that the big guys can represent when the chips are down. Of course he was all jacked up on steroids, unlike me, but I like to think I have what it takes. Don't pop my fantasy bubble. I'm gonna go juggle my 52 pound kettlebells now.

catmarlson said...

Man, you guys are making me feel like I should apologize. I never said we weren't serious competitors tho'. You guys just went there on your own. (with appropriate comedy, naturally).

To be fair, you asked for definition and I didn't provide it.
I'm not going to now either. Ha ha. I'll just watch how this plays out over the next few months.