Friday, April 18, 2008

Back to the Chiropractor / NYC Fundraiser Party

Well my back is tweaked. It's been a long while since I've last said something like that. I'm very pleased to be writing it a week before a race. Grrrr.
It isn't even a training related injury. It's typically caused by too much sitting in a bad chair. Long Road trips in the car, bad seats on the train... I actually carry a back "pillow" for the train. That often gets me an odd look but I guess I've been doing that for 6-7 years now, I don't even think about it.

I didn't workout last night because I didn't want to inflame the nerve and make this worse. I'm not going to take any ibuprofen or anything unless the Dr. tells me that I should. I'd hate to mask the problem, only to make it worse.
I think I'm misaligned so that my hips are tilted, left/right. So some nerve is somewhat pinched causing the glutes on the left side to be tight. Which then causes a chain reaction of range of motion issues. For example, sitting in a chair, if I extend my left leg straight out, I get complaints from my hamstrings, through the glutes and into my lower back.
This would probably get better on it's own if I take it easy in about 4 days. I don't have 4 days!

I'm hoping when I call the Chiropractor today Dr Mark will be available. He is the best, worth the drive to get to his office. I wonder how many times I've mentioned him on the blog so far?

Even with the adjustment, I'm guessing I shouldn't run any sooner than Sunday. As for swimming and biking, I'll just have to see how it feels and decide. Maybe I'll be doing a ton of no kick swimming in the wetsuit this weekend. (my kick is pathetic anyhow, it won't be missed).

Well, I'll let you know how it goes. I haven't been there in awhile. Maybe if I explain to him I've got 2 races in 2 weeks he will hit my lower back with the electrostim after the adjustment to get rid of that cramp. It's sad that I'm so familiar with these therapies.

The time I wasn't training last night was well spent. I have scheduled a fundraiser at Red Sky, a bar in Manhattan on Wednesday May 21st. (Yeah, I'll miss swim class. That is if the Y is open by then). I worked on putting together an evite for that as well. I have no idea how well attended this party will be. I am hopeful, it could be a very good time. It's also great motivation to physically see how many people are supporting this effort.
Genine sent $900 in checks to the fundraiser today. We will see that added to the total on the website sometime next week. Our $10,000 goal looks more within reach every day.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

Ugh! My first choice Dr is not in the office until Monday. Fortunately I have a backup plan at another office and they can fit me in.
These lower back adjustments seem to be difficult for some people to perform. That's why I like Dr Mark so much, he gets the job done.
With this other doctor I'll just have to let him know if I don't think he's got it right.
He's solid with his reflexology, so I'll make sure we do a before and after test to make sure we've got it right. Often times they don't do the after test. I guess because they are typically confident that they made the right adjustment.