Thursday, April 24, 2008

Net Zero Work





In physics if you take an object and raise it 10 ft, then drop it back to original starting point that would be a net effect of zero work. Mass X distance. I think I have that right. So, I have determined you could argue from a purely theoretical sense most triathlons are net zero work being done. You take a mass and move it over some distance, but in the end you net out at distance zero.

I bring this up because last nights ride and I thought some work had been done, but the net effect is zero distance. I had no idea what I had done once I started the hill. I had been up it in the car a couple years ago, but I had no idea. Then if I had realized going down the back side was so far, I would not have done it. Well I was stuck I had to get back to Levi's practice so he wasn't the lonely kid waiting for his dad. You would have thought that the ride downhill would have been fun, but the switch backs were so intense I was standing on the brakes most of the way to keep it under 35 MPH. Jakes Rock Hill is 600 ft vertical in 2.25 mile. Breezy Heights is just under 400 ft in 1 mile. This baby was 500 ft vertical in about 1.25 miles. I did it both ways. The way shown in the picture was definitely harder. It felt worse plus the back side was done after doing the front side so I wasn't as fresh. Also, no guardrail with cliffs on the way up. I don't remember drawing out a ride that had me do a 1000 ft of climbing in an hour before. As you can tell despite my stupidity in underestimating this ride, I am glad and proud I did it. NO I did not stop. The new bike plus my lighter carcass was definitely an advantage over climbs from last year. Even though Devil's Hill looks steep, I may have found a training ride to prepare for it, because Devil's is no way this long.

One day I want to ride Breezy Heights, Klondike, and Blue Goose hills all in the same ride. I got it figured out so I only do each once. Kind of the Hat Trick of Bike climbing hills in Fairview, WV.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

Nice workout! Devil's Hill is a bump in comparison.

Is 39/26 your easiest gear ratio?

When does it occur to you to check whether you've set the front brake back in place after pulling the tire? :-)

Have you considered racing "Newton's Revenge"?
http://www.newtonsrevenge.com/

Or the road race?
http://www.mountwashingtonroadrace.com/

My Friend Doug is running it this year.
If weather cooperates, another friend Niles, will bike it. (both bike dates canceled last year).

I was talking with Niles about his morning training rides in central park. "pushing so hard, I'm seeing stars most of the ride"

After hearing that, I can safely say I'm a recreational athlete. I'm guessing the only way I'm going to see stars is if I have a high speed bike accident.

I'm still interested to see their results. Doug is typically a marathoner and 5K runner. Niles is strictly an uphill biker.

CSquared said...

I had heard of the Bike race, I guess it makes sense they would have a run race also. Times are about the same. Tom Danielson holds the bike record. Big time pro in America. Has won most of the major Road races in America. I think he is now doing the European tours. I know dope denier Tyler Hamilton won it a few times on the bike.

I don't know what I was bragging about after seeing the profile of Mt. Washington. 676 ft vertical every mile for over 7 miles. Total Climbing 4,999 ft. Ouch!!!!

"seeing stars most of the ride". I be recreating, too.

Where does Niles find the hills in your neck of the woods? I could travel the whole state of New Jersey and cumulative not climb 5,000 ft.

CSquared said...

To answer you original question, no my easiest would be 30/25.

Front is 30/42/52

Rear is 9 speed 12 - 25

I never used the 30/25 combo.

I used the 30 but I think a 20 or 21 most of the time (similar ratio to 39/26). A couple steep parts I dropped one in the rear maybe a 22. I still had two to go. I think 23 and 25. They are ridiculously easy.