Sunday, April 13, 2008

NH Trip

It was a beautiful Saturday. It was about 70 degrees. I ran 9 miles late morning. Nice to have some different terrain to run on. I probably should have done a few more miles but knowing that we were going to do the Mooseman bike tomorrow I figured it was enough. As it turned out we took a bike ride later that afternoon, definitely took advantage of the nice day.

Sunday, not so nice. 42 degrees and mostly cloudy and it could rain. Well, it didn't rain. It snowed a bit instead.
Well here is the picture you guys were looking for. Devil's Hill


And even better. Newfound Lake. Still looking a bit cold.

Because of all the snow in NH this year. We were concerned that our barn might not have made it through all the snow. I wonder how much was stacked up when it was at it's worst, if this is what it looks like now.


Enough with the slide show. 27 mile bike. 1:43:00. Frozen toes but I still put on my running shoes at the end and ran a mile or two to work through the crazy bike legs. To be honest my lower back was more of an issue. (bike fit issue or just bad back strength?).
That is not an amazing bike time. I am not an amazing biker. Could I be faster for the race? Probably. How? Three things come to mind.
1) Warmer Weather.
2) Stand up to stretch out my legs a bit more often. I went from the north end of the lake all the way to Cass Mill without hopping up out of the saddle. I'll have to look at the map later to figure out the distance.
3) Gu, Gels, Calories. Gotta keep those legs fueled up.
Sadly, I didn't remember to delete the old files off my watch before this bike. So I ran out a memory on the watch when I reached Bristol and started on the RT104 section. Seeing the power numbers for the 2nd half of the bike would have been interesting. Sharp fall off for sure.
I probably pushed too hard on the first half my average was 180 watts and 18mph. As we've seen from my trainer rides 155 watts seems to be more in my zone. No biggie. Gives me something to work on.

Just to get some perspective, I looked up results from last year. It looks like if I can find this 70 year old guy named Fred from last year. He could pace me. And I should be able to watch him cross the finish line about 100 yards ahead of me. Him and 450 others. Ha ha.

5 comments:

CSquared said...

Excellent pics. Devil's Hill looks like fun. If I remember it occurs early in the bike. We are definitely going to have to drive this on Friday before the Moose.

Sucks, it was so cold. The temperature was similar here, by similar I mean nice on Saturday and colder on Sunday. It sounds colder where you were.

I got chilled after my run yesterday. It rained on me while I was running, didn't notice it when I was going hard, but once I got inside I needed a hot bath to get warm.

Thank you again for the pictures, I am looking for the profile now of devil's hill to compare to the picture.

SJV said...

Matt, didn't you map this course on g-map-pedometer at some point? You know what would be cool? If we could ride the course with a camera mounted to the handlebars and do a time-lapse of the whole ride. Maybe snap a few extra frames for the turns or exciting parts so it slows down a bit for those. Maybe on Sunday I'll do that.

Thanks for the pics. It does look a bit chilly at the moment. I don't know if we mentioned this before, but the event is sold out, so I'm hoping some slow people were fast enough to sign up.

I see Craig was out running in the cold and Matt was riding in the cold. I was doing homework inside. I believe I am screwed.

Is it possible to totally transform yourself in one month? I guess we'll see. They say I am not supposed to increase my distance by more than 10% per week, but I think I will shooting for about one extra mile every three days. That'll get me up to 9 miles in 18 days. I think if I run in that range 2 times a week in May with shorter runs in between, plus some high intensity stuff twice a week, I should be much better by June. Ah, well...exciting times.

Jim said...

If the lake stays frozen, I'd snowshoe the swim portion and do the olympic distance with you!!!

I could only wish!

catmarlson said...

Nice Jim! You could be top 10% in the swim.
I'm still laughing about going to put my shoes on to run. It felt like I was putting the shoes onto someone else's feet. Because I couldn't feel them at all. Very very strange feeling.
Bike Shoe covers are on the gear list. Although I can't say if really would have been that much better?
Maybe I'll find them on sale now that they are "off season"

CSquared said...

Ice or no Ice, I bet you just got Shawn thinking about some contraption that could be used to have you walk on the top of the water (besides divine intervention).

Or Maybe we could create a race where running or biking on the waters surface is one of the components and crawling on the ground is the next leg. I will stop now and let Shawn be the idea guy.