Sunday, April 6, 2008

Trying on wetsuits

Okay, the goofy stuff first. Our NJ Tri Club Name.

F.A.S.T (Fanatical Aquaholic Super Triathletes). It's a work in progress, what do you think?

6 of us went to SBR in the city to try on wetsuits and try them out in the endless pool. Here is what I learned. The staff at the store were good at looking at your body shape and matching which brand was going to "work". Orca and 2XU are not going to work for me. They said those suits are built for the "European athlete" body type. Shawn assures me this is a thin build.
So they suggested Zoot as the most likely and potentially the Blue Seventy.
So I tried on the Zoot first and got into the pool. First time in a wetsuit, very buoyant, very cool. Unfortunately swimming in the endless pool was kind of lame. Not sure if it was because he didn't turn it up high enough or what. So I kept hitting the front of the pool, which didn't make it easy for me to think about the feel of the suit enough. (edit: endless pools commented on this post, check it out) So I guess my overall opinion was based upon this one thing. I didn't really notice being in the suit. Torso length did not seem to be an issue. (So I wasn't speaking in a higher voice when I was done). Shoulders seemed to move quite easily. With some body glide on, it probably would have been even better. Here is the one potential downside. One of the guys that has had a few wetsuits mentioned all the sewing. Take a look at the Zoot. All those shapes which appear on the outside are individually sewn panels on the inside of the suit. He was warning me that he has had stitching go bad, once it starts a little bit, it doesn't take long for the whole panel to be out. Something to consider.

So I dried off for a bit before trying to wedge myself into another suit. I figured I had to at least try on two otherwise I have no basis for comparison. The Blue Seventy Helix I believe. I didn't even bother getting into the pool with this one. I could really feel some pinch in the armpit/shoulder area. (proving to me that the sales guys knew what they were talking about).

So where am I with a wetsuit purchase? That Zoot is dang expensive but was a good fit. I'm guessing their cheaper line would fit the same with fewer bells and whistles. Zoot is on the list.
I'm going to find a place to try on Quintana Roo and possible other brands, now that I've had a couple on I have a better idea as to what's going on.
I'm also planning on ordering the DeSoto. It's a 2 week trial and they expect that you will swim in it. It's the only way I'm going to be able to try one out it seems, I've called everywhere. I'll gladly pay the shipping costs if I have to return it.

I need to make sure I spend time learning how to get in and out of these things. Going on you have to be very careful because you are handling the outside of the suit. Getting out the guy kept telling me to be aggressive and grab the interior of the suit. Step on the suit. Stuff like that. I will need to practice. Trouble is once the inside is wet, putting it on again for another trial run is a bear.

3 out of 6 people bought a wetsuit, so the store did well for the 2 hours of time. We definitely took advantage of the facility. As much of a pain NYC is, this was another nice perk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... sounds like SBR didn't turn the current up very high, it's as fast as a 64 second 100 yard at full speed. Perhaps they didn't want excessive splashing. We'll talk to them! If you want to try the pool again, let us know!

Endless Pools, Inc.