Monday, April 21, 2008

Notes from Shawn

I just thought I toss up a few notes from the last couple of days. One thing I have discovered, which of course should be no surprise but nonetheless is, is that using the aero bars requires muscles in the back of your neck to tilt your head up. If you are planning on using the aeros at all on race day, I suggest practicing to acclimate those muscles. Mine are feeling it today. Also, my experience on the road with aeros was somewhat different than on the trainer as far as muscle recruitment goes, because there is steering involved. I would also suggest wearing your helmet on the trainer (or in the real world) once in a while so your head gets used to carrying that extra weight and you become accustomed to what happens with your sweat. I found steering with the aeros to be a little funky for the first minute, but it all came together quickly. I'm comfortable with them now, although as I said on the spreadsheet, I am not yet confident that I want to go around sharp corners at 30K/h.

Yesterday, I developed a new exercise routine I am calling "Toss the Boulder." All you have to do is pick up your personally chosen rock, toss it as high as you can and catch it on the way down. It's a lot like working with a kettlebell, only cheaper, and in my case, I have to use both hands to toss and catch the boulder rather than the one hand with which I normally juggle a kettlebell. Today, I can tell I did some major work. You don't have to go anywhere, so it's a tidy and quick workout and gets the HR going quite effectively. Everyone, go find your boulders!

5 comments:

catmarlson said...

Toss the boulder: Let me count the ways I'd end up injuring myself trying that.
I suppose it's not as crazy as the "Running of the Bulls". Have you considered something like this for speed work?

SJV said...

You could call it Toss the Rock. I'm sure a medicine ball would work well too, but I couldn't find one heavy enough, and they cost a fortune. My rock was free, and they come in all sizes! All free. I picked a nice kinda roundish one from a river so it's easy on the hands, and it's a perfect weight. I can tell exactly what muscles it worked now. Biceps, delts, traps, hammies, glutes, quads, and forearms. I'm sure there are some others that got a workout but which were already prepared for this kind of thing from my other routines. Anyway, hard to beat, I tell ya. Give me a month with this rock and it and I will be equivalently hard. Just like Bob Seger.

CSquared said...

I sent you that link on the Max Kettle Bell dude from Williamsport. He has a video on his web page throwing rocks around.

http://www.team-impact.com/

The web link is an evangelical group coming to an Assembly of God church this week in Waynesburg. I am going to take the kids. They will be there from Wednesday to Sunday. They also do an anti drug/alcohol program for the local school districts during the day. I wonder if steroids are talked about .:>

catmarlson said...

How quickly could Shawn get to 300lbs if he was on the juice?
I don't think anyone calls it "Juice" anymore. Makes me think of Brian Bosworth. Which is unfair, considering I have 20 years of "newer" players to choose from.

Am I right when I say that Bob "moose" from high school gave up football at Gannon or Mercyhurst because he refused the stuff?

SJV said...

If I went on the juice, and actually had time to work out, I think I could exceed 300 in about 6 months. Of course I could get to 300 just by drinking fruit juice and eating sausage in much less time! Which would be less healthy? Maybe I should compare the health benefits and detriments of each, and choose the one that is less bad. Stallone has been extolling the virtues of HGH, so maybe I should go on that.

Like I need to be heavier.

I need (HSH) Human Shrinking Hormone.