Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What do you guys think?

Now that I'm tracking calories and my carb/protein/fat percentages. I'm curious what you guys think the right balance is for our Sprint and Olympic Tri training. Maybe the race distance doesn't matter? The big key is just to keep the glycogen stores full?
After my bonk on Friday night (yes I realize I'm low calorie at the moment). I just figured no time like the present to see what kind of tweaks I can put into place and see/feel the results.

65/20/15% carb/protein/fat is a ratio I see often.
41/30/29% is what I am averaging currently. (2 week average, the free fitday.com program is quite helpful).

Dropping the fat should be easier than it looks here. The majority of this fat is from the dressing on my salad at lunch. I've been too lazy to bring in my own dressing. Given the calorie density of fat, changing the dressing will just allow me to eat more volume. How bad can that be?
Of course the other thing about this is I'm only eating about 2/3's of the calories I should be. So If I add another 1/3 calories largely of carbs that will tip the balance as well.

It's a work in progress, just thought I'd post it up for discussion.
A good discussion thread.

3 comments:

SJV said...

I just saw some reference to a study that showed that a low-carb diet reduced the frequency of epileptic seizures. These people were getting much of their calories from nuts, supposedly. I was, of course, pleased. My pistachio stocks are going to soar.

It was my experience in the last week that my biggest weight loss happened in the one week when I did virtually no exercise. I presume I wasn't nearly as hungry as I normally am, and ate less.

I think the Zone is a good thing, assuming you are using healthy options for the three categories.

catmarlson said...

Congrats on the loss.
Our next weigh in is a week from Friday.
I don't think I have diet derailing plans superbowl sunday. In fact I have the opposite options.

option 1) Rutgers Pool 8AM Join in on a 100x100 swimfest. 3rd Annual I'm told.

option 2) meet in the Y parking lot for a bike ride.

2 good healthy options. Sadly the bike isn't high on my list because it was such a pain to get the trainer tire onto the rim, I'd hate to take it off.

I'm already heavy on the swim this week so I'll probably pass on that as well.

My schedule is a long Low zone run. I'm hoping it's a nice day. :-)

CSquared said...

I think I am struggling to know what to think, because besides the magic pill I am not counting calories or concentrating on the food side. I had hoped to work on the use up the calorie side, but am pretty dismal in the cold weather and other activities.

I am also bowing out of the planned x-country ski race this Sunday. First of all, I am not sure they will have enough snow and secondly I am not ready. If there had been snow and I could have gotten out on the skis I would be excited and gone undertrained. This would be me getting comfortable on the skis, feeling like crap, and tearing up the skis on tree roots and rocks.

Woa'is me!

I am not holding high hopes for the weigh in, but refuse to check until then, so I'll get them next month. Of course I hope I am not saying this in May.