Friday, January 25, 2008

BONK!

Well I was really looking forward to Friday night swim class. Last week was fantastic. I had a couple good sessions, Sunday and Tuesday. Then I get to class and completely BONK!
This is the first time I've really felt the effects of my calorie deficit diet. I'm guessing I made it through about 45 minutes. I wasn't strong on anything of any distance. I had to get out of the pool because of a calf cramp while doing pull buoy drills?!?! While stretching out the calf pool side I realized my hands were actually shaking a bit.
I realized I was done, very disappointing. I knew that while I was dieting I couldn't expect too much. It's just that up until this point it wasn't a problem at all.
So I went home to look at the calorie count for the day compared to last Friday. 400 calories less. I didn't mean for it to be that way. It's just that when I get home from work I can't eat too much or else I'll get stomach cramps when I swim. Just bad food planning on my part.
The coach of course was asking me what was up. I explained to him my focus is my diet at the moment. Basically he said I need to tweak my plan. Ha! I agree, I don't want a repeat of tonight.
I'm really looking forward to hitting my goal weight so I can start eating all the calories needed to maintain my weight. All in good time.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

Do you think it was just the Friday. I would be curious to see the whole week caloric intake compared to the week before. Assimilation occurs mostly during the evening/night, then your elimination stage starts in the morning, with consumption during the noon to evening hours. So my point and I lack expertise here, would Thursday not be as or more important than Friday? Really I am asking, it is not rhetorical.

catmarlson said...

Yeah. I messed up my Friday. I've been eating 2000 calories a day. Averaging thirds in protein, carbs and fats.
Looking at my Friday. I ate about 1200 up until about 7PM (that's on the low side already). I then had a quick bowl of oatmeal, applesauce, fiber one. Which may have boosted me to about 1500-1600 for the day.

You may be right, I'm dropping weight like crazy and it could be cumulative effects showing through.
Overall I have not felt poorly or overly hungry these last couple weeks.
I will continue to monitor and will adjust if I feel it becomes too much of a negative impact on the workouts.