Friday, January 11, 2008

Bike

Missed out on the bike. I logged on at 10:15 last night to see if it was getting some action, and it was over someone bought now. I realistically would not have hit the buy button until this morning, because Tamara and I needed to discuss the money transfer issue.

Matt pointed out to me this guy had sold another bike and used the same Sales style. Here is that link. Jamis Comet - SOLD

Well it got me interested in this Jamis bike so I searched for some reviews. They look good and the used ones don't break the pocket book.

You understand that you all are going through this process with me if you like or not.

Already found two on old eBay. The one is actually a steel frame and weighs less than 9 Kg, do you believe that. I got the approval this morning to go for it on a used bike under $700 or so.

Jamis Eclipse

Jamis Comet

So, I can always buy a Motobecane, but I can hold out for a nice used with the better components. We will see how this process takes me.

I really like the steel concept, but the Comet looks aero.

6 comments:

catmarlson said...

Those comet pictures up close looks like it's been beat up.

The eclipse on the other hand looks like it was treated a little better.

I'm sure the final selling price will reflect the difference.

62cm.... Man my legs are short!

CSquared said...

62 is my top end. Making me hesitate a little.

The comet's original specs show a 52/42 on the front with 11 - 23 on rear. It was built for speed. Hills could be painful on such a creature. Cheap enough, replace those components

CSquared said...

Oh, I don't mind a bike beat up, I'm going to do something stupid anyways, like ride on flat tires.

SJV said...

I thought I should add that my local bike shop gave me a 63cm Cannondale to ride, and it was great. I guess I might be a bit taller than Craig, but not much. My Trek that I will be racing is even taller than that, like 67 or something. It's huge. The head tube is like 9.5 inches long.

Anyway, you love tinkering so go for whatever you want. I say you buy a $699 frame and fork set, then gradually get all the parts without telling the wife! Tell her the Volvo broke again. That's believable.

SJV said...

I just checked out the auctions. The Comet looks pretty cool. All that abuse might net you a nice price when it's all said and done. It ends tomorrow. Bid in the last six seconds. I guess you won't really be riding this anywhere but in races right? 'Cause it won't be comfortable for casual use. I ride mine every day to classes and stuff, so that's an important consideration, but you don't really have anywhere to go like that do you?

I just read an interesting article on aerodynamics, and it looks like our biggest gain comes from being smaller! The aero bike will only gain us about a half a percent. But slicing through the wind with our new lithe bodies can save up to 10%. Then again that fork on the Comet still looks cool. If you get a bike like that, you better do well. You don't want to one of those guys who buys all the toys and still loses.

catmarlson said...

I may have all the toys and still lose. I just hope I don't become someone with all the toys and they collect dust in the basement and garage.