Friday, January 11, 2008

More Fundraiser Info

One of the online services is Active.com, will charge $2.30 for a $20 Donation. $7.50 for $100.
Fees are 6.5% plus $1 per transaction
Here is an example of what you get for that money.

PayPal will charge 88 cents for a $20 donation. $3.20 for $100
Fees are 2.9% + $0.30 USD up to $3000
We would have to design our own page and make updates. I was thinking of just using blogger to do this.

Obviously it would be best for people to write a check and send it either to us to send in. Or they could send it directly if they felt more comfortable with that. Either way these checks would be made out to the hospital fund, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
The Active.com site will just send a check to the charity at the end of each week.
The trouble with the PayPal method is if I have to create an account it won't necessarily look as official, and people will have to trust us to forward their donation. Unless the fund sets up a paypal account for this purpose. I did ask in my email to them if they have something like this setup already.

Active:
91 contributors at $1.00 each + $413 in fees= $504 of $6367 raised was given to active.com so just about 8% in the example site I sent you to.

PayPal:
91 contributors at $.30 each + $185 in fees= $212.30 of $6367 raised paypal would keep. So just about 3.3% would not go to the cause.

Am I right to think the extra few hundred dollars active charges is worth it? I believe the larger portion of our funds raised will be checks sent in directly anyhow.

Give me some feedback here. Thanks

2 comments:

CSquared said...

I don't think active.com it is worth it. I believe most people giving will send a check. I also intend to send a letter to my friends/family. Tamara has a friend that does mission trips and this has been effective for her.

I want people to know what we are doing both personally and for a cause. So, once we get it setup I am going to do a letter like this. I hope to slid a picture of the Tango group or Matt & I at SSS.

Ultimately if they don't send money, I still want them to know and to lend any support especially if it is prayers (mostly for Shawn's sake);).

catmarlson said...

So did they send checks to you? Or did they mail them directly to the fund?
I know some people will want to be much less involved in the fundraising. I'll set up the web version for them as they may "spam" their email list at the very least. Who knows maybe our blog will get some traffic as the Mooseman nears and someone random will donate as well if this is setup.