Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Put the kettle on

Things are heating up! Time is getting short and we are now feeling the pressure. Bikes, wetsuits, training bumps, diets. We live in exciting times. I thought I would update you guys on my status, just for posterity's sake. Starting last weekend (Jan 4th) I began my new diet, which is a constant supply of pistachios tossed into a "Zone" diet, made famous by Dr. Barry Sears. I am primarily using macadamias for the fat part of the equation, and the afore-mentioned pistachios make up a fair percentage of the protein portion. For carbs, I've been going with fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, and All-Bran. I bought some Fibersure just for fun and have been sprinkling that in everything from scrambled eggs to tuna salad. So 12 days later (today) I took my BP and it was 109/58. Please keep in mind that I weigh 260 pounds, and still carry a goodly floatation-pack of fat on my body, and you should realize that that is a pretty remarkable situation. I think it's pretty cool, so I am going to keep paying the exorbitant price for shelled pistachios.

I am still completely off caffeine, and I don't see myself going back. With the help of this crew, I have found a solution that I like and that I think is reasonably healthy, at least by comparison, which is a home-brewed iced tea with a dash of kiwi-strawberry juice. Tastes great, less filling...and no alcohol.

I missed the first tri club meeting here because of an MLK Jr. Banquet, but I am intending to go next week. I am on their list-serve now, and have discovered that many of them do master's swimming and also get discounts on bikes and wetsuits. Those will pay for the membership in spades, I believe. Next week, Coach Paul is supposed to be coming to talk to us, so I don't want to miss that. I'm looking forward to getting involved.

School and work started this week, so I now have to try to figure out when I am going to do anything else. Early morning looks like the answer, but it is so unappealing. Ugh. I may start riding my bike the 5 miles to work when it warms up, but that won't work for a while. Maybe I'll do the steep-treadmill-walking thing. That is more tolerable at that hour than running. I gotta get the time in somewhere. I don't want to lose all my mitochondria!

6 comments:

catmarlson said...

Let's see if this helps motivate.
Jan 8th I was 196.
This AM 16th I was 193.

Shawn may regret telling me about putting some Fiber One type of cereal in with the oatmeal and then using unsweetened applesauce as the sweetener. I was using vanilla yogurt which has sugar in it.

My diet looks like this:
Eggs with flourless bread toasted and real butter. Small glass of Naked fruit juice. Typically Mango or Blueberry.

Later in the AM: The oatmeal, cereal and applesauce combo.

Lunch: Salad, Romaine and Spinach, cukes, carrots, brussels sprouts, tomato, Grilled chicken, honey dijon dressing.

Snack: apple, spoonful of peanut butter or more oatmeal

Grilled chicken, broccoli, squash

Snack: apple or more oatmeal, this doesn't always occur.

Basically I'm realizing how each meal requires protein, fat and carbs otherwise you aren't satisfied and you end up eating more of something if you haven't satisfied all 3.

SJV said...

Yeah, I'm digging the Zone. Having some fat with every meal is great. Butter, nuts, olive oil...mmmm. It's definitely working for me too. Don't get too cocky. I might have lost three pounds too. I only use the Y scale for my official weigh-ins, and I haven't been there for a few days. I'll let you know Thursday.

catmarlson said...

Ah right. I need to post percentages. Are percentages already metric? Or is Craig going to surprise us with something?

I lost 1.53% and I hope I don't find it again.

CSquared said...

89.09 kgs to 87.73 Kgs is 1.53%. You look better in the weigh in but the losses don't look as good.

Oatmeal - Tamara soaks the oatmeal in apple juice & a little milk. The next day it is delicious and you didn't have to cook it.

I will try to get the actual recipe for you. Mixed with yogurt, topped with nuts and fruit is a meal in itself.

I still eat too much cheese, but I am trying to stay with good hard cheese with the good mircro's in it, not that soft young american cheese.

I have not weighed in since the biggest loser start, but I am taking a diet cleanse pill to prepare myself for weight loss and for more intense training. 14 day program, 4 tablets a day. Causes some interesting gastro side effects that may be too graphic for this forum.

SJV said...

Noooo! You can't pull out the percentage card! Now I have to lose 30% more than you. Fine. I lost 4 pounds!

I hope I don't find those either.

I think the biggest loser math is slightly flawed, but I guess that should go on our "Misguided TV Math" blog. There is some ideal weight we should be and there is the weight we are now. We want to bridge that gap. None of has a specific percentage of weight or number of pounds we could or should lose. So how close we get to our ideal weight is the measurement I'm interested in.

I'm not that close yet.

CSquared said...

For example if my ideal weight is 90 kg and I am currenty 101 kg, then I am 11kg too heavy or 10.9 % over weight. So, I should be trying to shrink the 10.9%. Closer to zero.

Maybe that could be our slogan "Closer to Zero", hence zero is your ideal weight.