Monday, May 25, 2009

Volume 8: Moose and Tango Training

We got Matt’s bike back at 9:00 Saturday morning, picked up Michelle and Jerry and then drove up to the cottage.



Michelle & I got in some valuable KB2 canoe practice while Jerry & Matt tested out Jon’s new kayak in the river.



Michelle has definitely benefited from her brother’s canoe instruction and was able to give me some pointers to get the most out of my stroke. She is going to make a much better “driver” than I did last year…thank goodness! We took 2 trips up river from the cottage. The second time we were able to power our way thru what Matt & I have deemed “nature’s endless pool” (more to come on that), so I can already see our practice time paying off. Hoping to get another shot in July prior to the Tango.

Matt also did some swimming in the river. The water is quite chilly. I’m sure comparable to what Newfound will be in 2 weeks. He swam up to the island right below the dam. The current in that section is exactly like an endless pool. You can literally swim in one spot and not move forward. What a great way to practice technique!

There were also tons of frogs in the inlet/boat launch by the cottage. They were so funny to watch and listen to them singing. We had to be careful not to step on them!

After the aqua activities, the 4 of us donned our running apparel and did a quick run up to the fish hatchery. I think it was 3.75miles round trip on my polar watch. Matt and Jerry ran well ahead of Michelle and I. But, we all made it there & back. The hills were a good practice for me as I don’t do any in NJ….and will have to tackle a few in NH in 2 weeks. I was slow, but steady. That seems to be my pace recently and I am all right with that. I am confident the speed will pick up as the season continues, as well as my continued ART therapy. For now, I do my best with what my body will allow. Matt’s knee is still troubling him with anything over 3 or so miles. But he is being careful and doing a little at a time.

With the run completed, it was time to golf. Well, at least for Matt and Michelle. They went to Blueberry with Jon and Scotty for a 2:20 tee time.


I went home, showered and hung out with my favorite little dude….Ian.
Kryste and I took him to Beaty playground for some sliding and climbing. Then we went to visit my godmother and dear family friend, Marie Mathis. She turned 90 years old this past Friday. It is always so good to see her. While arthritis has claimed her ability to knit and she now uses a walker all the time, she is still quite agile both physically and mentally. She maintains her own house and cares for her trusted companion, Shadow the cat. I have always admired Marie. She is a woman who speaks her mind, gives freely of herself, and cares for children and those in need. I can only hope to be as sharp minded and full of gratitude when I am her age. What a fine example she has set with her life.

Post 18 holes, dinner was at Chido’s with Jon & Joyce, my parents, Scotty, Kryste and Ian. It was nice to have a chance to visit with everyone. With full bellies, we came home, relaxed and sorted thru pictures from the day.

Next up Volume 9: More Riding and River Adventures

No comments: