Wednesday, May 20, 2009

New shorts

Huge news people. I got new shorts. Yes, yes, you can pick your jaws up off the floor and clean up the milk you just spit out. It's true. I bought some Louis Garneau tri specific shorts. I had to try them out immediately, so I went for an 80 minute bike ride tonight. Two things were immediately apparent. Maybe three. First, my hands did not go numb. Isn't that weird? You don't have to answer. Yes, it's weird. Second, my back didn't hurt. That is not quite as weird. Matt and Genine heard me propose that the tie on my jammers was creating my back pain on the bike, and I now believe that hypothesis was correct. Looking further, I think the constriction of blood flow at my waist was preventing my arms from getting all the blood they needed, causing my hands to go numb, which reminds me of some Chi flow issue. Whatever the case, these shorts may save me. The third thing is that the little tri chamois in the nether regions -- the "bike pad" part of the shorts -- is simply delightful.

Now it's back to losing weight! Better get going...

3 comments:

CSquared said...

Sounds like the new shorts will help stop all numbness, wink, wink.

SJV said...

I'm not saying I'll be any faster. But I'll be more comfortable.

I can assure you that all numbness has not been eliminated. An occasional standing or upright pedaling session is still in order to prevent that, but being able to feel the shifters is very nice. I felt like I had leprosy in the Jerseyman. I could move my hands, but I couldn't feel anything. Very strange. I should add that the constriction at my waist is greatly exacerbated by my fatness. If I were thin as a whip, the tie wouldn't bind as much as it does now. I'm working on it.

GC said...

Very exciting....I love getting new workout clothes/gear! sounds like it is going to be much more comfortable on many levels. That will allow to shift your focus to technique & speed rather than other distractions.

And the more you ride, the smaller your mid-section gets, the better your shorts feel, and so on.....