Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mini-Camp, Central PA style

Okay, I decided to try to knock out a few workouts this weekend too. It started off with a bang. Not the bang of a flat tire, like Craig's, but with a wonderful bike ride. I set out to do a 32-mile ride that I have done before. It was a beautiful sunny day. This ride normally takes me about 2 hours. I prepared my bottle of water and took one Powergel, just in case. Well, about 90 minutes in, I ran out of water, which would have been fine, except right about then I took a wrong turn. I realized eventually that I had done that, but I wasn't sure what the quickest way back was. I knew where I was, but I had never ridden on most of these roads before, so I kept making misguided attempts at heading toward home that always brought me back to the main road I had started from. Suffice it to say this bike ride ended up being 4 hours long and covered quite a bit more than 32 miles. I also got a good feeling of what dehydration is like, and discovered that I would like to avoid that in any race, if possible. After getting home and drinking about a gallon of various liquids, I felt pretty good. That was enough for Friday.

Saturday I got in a pretty good swim at the Y for about an hour. Sunday the community pool opened, so I got to try out the outdoor swimming after a long respite. That went well too, but was only about half an hour long.

Monday, I only got a leisurely bike ride in with Greg, who came up for part of the weekend. It was about a 45 minute ride of pretty low intensity, though it was fun and the scenery was gorgeous. I did get a bit sweaty, so it wasn't a total breeze. There were plenty of hills and some challenging singletrack out there.

It doesn't seem like I'm quite getting the type of duration I need here, although the 4-hour bike ride was nice. I guess I just need more of those. We'll see what I can do in the coming two weeks.

5 comments:

CSquared said...

Bravo! Not even one reference to the consumption of triangle shaped corn products, covered with acidified opaque white liquid and rennet coagulated into a pressed form and melted by passing non-ionizing microwave radiation through it.

Here is quote from Daniel Boone that covers your four hour bike ride.

"I can't say as ever I was lost,
but I was bewildered once for three days."
—Daniel Boone

SJV said...

Yeah, I think the diet has been pretty good this week. Maybe not as good as Matt, but nothing terrible.

I miss those triangle-shaped corn products, though.

I also realized today that I really only have one week left. I should be leaving for NH on Thursday next week, so Wednesday will be my last real workout. That's okay, though, since I would normally taper anyway. Hopefully I can get a little leisurely bike riding or swimming in on Friday. I wonder if I could go for a nice morning ride on Thursday before I leave. I bet I could.

In the meantime, I am once again trying to get off caffeine so I don't need it in the race. That might help with getting up in the morning. It really isn't fun. Sucks to be an addict.

GC said...

Nice job on the workouts. With bike rides like that you could start training for ironman!

be careful of your caffeine reduction. don't want to have any withdrawal side effects next weekend. It's like "the juice". for you.

FYI: my word vereification for this commment is "trisjv". cool.

SJV said...

Wow, that verification word is too much.

It doesn't look promising that I will be completely off the juice before the race. I am sooo lethargic without it right now. I feel like someone with chronic fatigue syndrome. Just going up the stairs with the laundry makes me want to lie down. It's quite something.

So I think I'll shoot for low daily consumption leading up to the race, maybe 2 cans a day will do. Then I can boost it a bit on race morning for a little kick, not that it's going to matter much, as I am going to be pretty slow no matter what drugs I use.

This is the last big weekend before the race. Gotta do another mini-camp.

m said...

Do you have gels with caffeine in them? You could just have your normal coffee or whatever in the morning and then have your caffeinated gels in the race.

Great job on the training, it may lot seem like tons of volume, but it is something everyday, and that consistency is great!