Monday, May 25, 2009

Volume 7: Road trip to Warren

After making a stop at Starbuck’s for the car trip, we got ourselves out of the house and on our way to Warren by 8:30 Friday morning. It was an easy ride with no traffic and beautiful weather. I kept myself entertained in the car with the camera taking random photos.


We got to Warren around 2:30pm and got things settled at the house. Matt took his bike up to Bike World to see about getting his rear wheel trued up. They said that they could take it in later, so we decided to meet up with Jerry for a bike ride and then drop it off that evening.

We rode down to pick up Jerry and left from Monroe St., rode the bike path thru North Warren for a warm up and then headed out Market St Ext. Since we need to get some more hills in, we decided to go up to the top of Hatch Run. We didn’t keep track of time or distance, but I can say it seemed to be much more manageable than last August. Matt passed me about 1/3 of the way up, but I kept him in my view the whole way. My legs felt strong and cardio and cadence were good.

I was able to maintain a speed of 13-11mph for the majority of the hill. Only when I got to the last push out of the saddle did my speed or cadence drop. It was encouraging to be able to gauge my improvement over the past 9 months.
The down hill was fun also. I think my max speed was 36mph. Props go to Jerry for pushing his way to the top on his mountain bike, especially after running 2 miles that morning and strength training.

No surprise there. He would make a formidable competitor on a road bike for sure. We finished up back at Monroe (I took an extra quick climb up the back road to the high school) and made plans to meet up with them after Michelle was back from golf league. Matt dropped his bike off at bike World to be picked up the next morning. Then it was clean up and then dinner time. For the record, I think this was the first time that we did not have Old Grand Dads at the Cornerstone. Oh! And Matt is totally committed to the Mooseman prep diet. He didn’t have a single beer!

Stay tuned for volume 8…..Canoes, kayaks and running – Oh my!

No comments: