Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Volume 3 - Monday Night Masters

Last night was our first full masters swim class in 3 weeks. As usual, we headed off to the pool feeling tired from a long day trying to psych ourselves up to swim from 8:15 - 9:45. It's always a crap shoot for me as to how I will feel as the class progresses. Sometimes good, usually...just fair. I have to say that last night turned out to be pretty good all in all for me.

Bob and Matt before class:


Maija, Genine and Matt before class:


The 5X100 kick drills (streamline on your back fly kick) were challenging to say the least. Be sure to ask Matt how his abs felt after class! Mine were screaming, too.

Kicking drills...ugh!


Then we had 5 X 200 free. I was slow, but felt smooth. Coach Elana actually said that she could see an improvement. Next up 2x 50 of finger tip drag and 2x 50 of almost catchup. Catchup drill always makes me think of hamburgers and hot dogs. :-) Then it was 2 x 50 all out sprints. For some reason, I actually can do well with sprints (provided there is ample rest intervals!). I finished middle of the pack on both, instead of last as usual. Then it was vertical kicking intervals (10sec kick/ 10sec rest). This is always funny....bobbing heads trying to stay above water. We all agreed that doing this at the end of class, especially after all the fly kicking made us want to barf! Luckily, no one did.

Bobbing heads....


Genine vertical kicking:


Then 200 cool down. Whew! Class over and we survived. Thanks to Coach Elana taking over behind the camera....next week we break out the "movie mode masters"!

Matt post swim:



Matt and Coach Elana with Matt's favorite pool toy....not.


Oh! I almost I forgot! In case you were wondering how Matt powers through the rigors of masters swim......the secret is out:

2 comments:

CSquared said...

The vertical is awesome! That was my favorite part of certifying to be a lifeguard. You had to hold a standard brick out of the water for a minute while you vertical kicked. I was awesome at this. To the point where I ragged on the others so bad that when I did it I made the effort to keep my shoulders out of the water. They thought they would see me suffer, I was suffering but didn't want them to see it.

One guy commented that it looked like I was standing on the bottom. I always felt bad for the petite girls. They struggled with this.

If I could only translate that ability to a horizontal kick.

m said...

You look so focused in your vertical kick! Can't wait to see what your pictures from today are!